Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2004, 02:37 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on the ladies event

we all make mistakes, especially at emotional times. i will admit i had a very negative perception of you until i read that post, but the way you took complete responsibility without focusing on rationalizing/making excuses makes you OK in my book.

i hope your anti-fan club here reads your apology and feels just a little bit guilty for going out of their way to let everyone know how much they dislike you.

good luck.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:51 PM

Default something i dont understand

i dont understand how it qualifies as classy to take the time to tell someone who has no relationship with you that you can't stand them.

what is she supposed to do, read your post and think "gee, i should start being classier"? it doesn't help anyone, she has obviously heard it before and is almost surely making an effort to improve how she comes accross at the table/on TV.

IMHO if you can't criticise constructively the "classy" thing to do is keep it to yourself.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:06 PM

I think your a class act for coming here and posting your viewpoint.

I for one would encourage you to continue coming here. There are always going to be the morons who think it is cool to attack the pro.

HOWEVER the vast majority of posters are here because they love the game of poker and are interested in improving their play through reasonable discussion. Your experience and presence can add to that discussion in a positive way.

Congratulations on a well deserved overdue win.

Welcome to the forum,

Orange
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 PM

Default Re: My thoughts on the ladies event *DELETED*

Post deleted by Mat Sklansky
Old 07-30-2004, 06:23 PM

It's cool you learnt english to make that reply.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:00 PM

Default Re: And to wrap this one up...

Annie-
Thanks for coming back and posting a reponse after all of the 2+2'ers comments, many of them not-so-flattering. However, I must say that my opinion about you remains unchanged. There is actually quite a bit to cover, but I'll try to keep it short and sweet.

A handful of people have been saying, "How can you make a fair judgement about Annie if you haven't even met her?...She's actually a good person once you get to know her". The irony is that most of these people (with the exception of beanie, it seems) don't "know" you any better than I. The only way that 99%+ of us will ever get to "know" you is by watching you on T.V., reading the press, looking at message boards, etc.

If these forms of media really aren't so reliable, then how can we make a judgement or assumption about anyone, anywhere? How can we say if O.J. or Kobe really committed the crime? How can we determine if Sadaam was tied to the 9/11 attacks, and that we had sound reason to attack Iraq? Better yet, how do we know if a God really exists? (I don't want this thread to spin off on a tangent, so I'll stop right there). My point is, the only way we are able to make any of these judgements is based upon the information that is provided to us -- from that we are able to draw our own conclusions. Based upon what I have watched on T.V., listened to in several different interviews, read about you in a DN link, and seen how you speak/act in replays of previous table hands, I have drawn my own conclusion about you. If all the mediums are "biased or unfair", then that is unfortunate. But these are the same mediums that convey Hellmuth, for instance, as a not-so-classy professional poker player. Has the light been cast unfairly on him as well?

But actions speak louder than words. For instance, hugging Siedel and Mr. X after your tourney victory was absolutely fine in my opinion (I can understand how ecstatic you must have felt after that huge victory and milestone in your career), but jumping up into your brother's arms and holding him (pardon the expression) like a little girl was a little too much. And then you sarcastically said, "Bet you don't see guys crying when they win one of these tournaments" (or something close to that) when you were holding the prize money in the air. It's exactly that -- the way that you act, talk, and convey yourself -- which I consider so classless. Almost as bad as Fischman running back to his crew for high-fives after winning each big hand at the final table, and then falling on the table after beating Awada to win the tourney, only to be followed by with his pompous-toned speech about how the money has just been coming in from the left and right for the past several months, and "boom!", now this.

I can see how/why you'd like to differentiate yourself from the shadow of your brother...you've earned it! But you seem to go overboard by constantly highlighting how you're such a "tough girl", able to rise above and beyond to succeed in a "man's world". Congrats for being able to actually do it, by why do you keep rubbing this in everyone's face? (Like when you stated in an interview that you won $20K from Ben Affleck before trying to help him...who the F cares?!?) For some reason you seem to be the only well-known professional poker player with this alpha-female attitude.

As far as why you haven't been posting here, that's your own business. I've been an avid reader/poster at these 2+2 forums for almost a year now, and this is the first time that I've ever read any of your posts. Obviously I can't confirm if someone came back and slammed you with a series of bad comments, or posted DN's derogatory link, every time you made a post. In short, I don't think you owe us any of your posts/opinions, so no explanation is necessary. But the part that I don't understand is, why is it -- all the slander, etc. -- such a painful and emotional experience if none of it was true? Most people are able to ignore false, ridiculous statements and not allow them to change the way that they feel internally, aren't they?

Bottom line is, you're a great player. No one can deny that. You've been able to rise to the top of the poker world, and can play/beat the best. But the way you sit, act, speak, and dress at the poker table like a little girl -- not a grown-up, mature, professional like Lederer or Harman or 95+% of the other "elite" poker players -- is what bugs the bee-jesus out of me. Everything you do seems to scream, "Look at me, I'm a girl, playing and beating the boys at cards, nada-nada-nah-nah". That is what I'm talking about. That is what I consider so unclassy. That is why I dislike you.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:52 PM

Excellent summary RR, I have many of the same feelings you do towards her, I just couldnt put into words like did...nice. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-30-2004, 07:59 PM

i cant believe you dislike someone you have never met and just see on tv enought to write that long a post.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:27 PM

I second that. I wouldn't care that much even if i knew the person in real life, i'd just see less of them because i really doubt they'd give a [censored] about my opinion enough to listen. I have no idea why you think Annie Duke cares what you think of her? More importantly your pointless rant will take attention away from my post to her so i may not get an answer now.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:15 PM

It's ok to dislike well-known people. Usually a simple "JETER SUCKS" t-shirt will suffice though.