Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Watching The Boondock Saints...

I don't know how else to describe this movie other than I thought it was really dumb.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:34 PM

Dafeo's character just failed for me. I know it was supposed to be over the top, but it just went a few steps beyond that and ended up falling very flat.

I will note that his preformance here is why he was a great choice for the green goblin IF ONLY THEY'D USED THE ORIGINAL FasdflasklaghaslkfhasdlfkjasdfING COSTUME DESIGN AND LET US SEE HIS ASLKFJASDKLGASJDIFING FACE. (posibly the worst costuming decision ever for any number of reasons).

Another movie like this, that kinda got rolled into the "like Pulp Fiction" catagory is Suicide Kings, which is a fun movie if you ignore the ending, and never, ever, ever, listen to the directors commentary on the DVD.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who say its one of the best movies ever are idiots. its a very good movie and i really enjoyed watching it. not more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to qualify this by saying its very good for the type of movie it is. that type of movie doesnt appeal to everyone.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
people who say its one of the best movies ever are idiots. its a very good movie and i really enjoyed watching it. not more than that.

[/ QUOTE ]

im going to qualify this by saying its very good for the type of movie it is. that type of movie doesnt appeal to everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thing thing is that I think it's very specifically NOT very good for the type of movie it is, or at least that it was made out to be.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:45 PM

frankly i dont even know what i meant by "type of movie". what i meant was that it wont appeal to everyone.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:52 PM

Overhyped? Hmm. Guess that's why I liked it so much. I had heard in passing one or two mention that it was a good movie, but no hype about it. I was at the store and saw it on sale for $7, so I picked it up and watched it with some friends. We all loved it. In fact, of all the people I've ever watched it with, only one person didn't like it and that was because he didn't like the premise.

I never heard any of the "this is like Pulp Fiction" hype, and I guess that would have made me view the film in a different light if I had. The movie may not be a top 50, but it's one of the few that I can watch many times without ever becoming bored of it.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:53 PM

i luv this movie...ive been tryin to get matt to watch it for forever [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

they are making a 2nd one YAY!!!

mah fav part is when Dafoe bitch slaps the guy in bed and calls him a [censored] LOL
Old 10-27-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dafeo's character just failed for me. I know it was supposed to be over the top, but it just went a few steps beyond that and ended up falling very flat.

I will note that his preformance here is why he was a great choice for the green goblin IF ONLY THEY'D USED THE ORIGINAL FasdflasklaghaslkfhasdlfkjasdfING COSTUME DESIGN AND LET US SEE HIS ASLKFJASDKLGASJDIFING FACE. (posibly the worst costuming decision ever for any number of reasons).

Another movie like this, that kinda got rolled into the "like Pulp Fiction" catagory is Suicide Kings, which is a fun movie if you ignore the ending, and never, ever, ever, listen to the directors commentary on the DVD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I liked his character in this, I recognize he's over the top. I thought there was sort of a dichotomy in the way he acted so grandiose because he thought the world of himself, but at the same time hated his homosexuality, said hatred manifesting itself in the way he treats other homosexuals. This love/hate relationship he had with himself actually made the character interesting for me, far more interesting than the brothers, whom I saw as misguided psychotics. I can see where some of his hamming it up could turn people off though.

It's funny what you say about his casting as the Goblin, I said exactly the same thing when Spider-Man came out; why would you cast someone as perfectly evil-looking as Willem Dafoe as your super-villain and then hide his frikken face?

I also enjoyed Suicide Kings a great deal, mainly for the acting of the ensemble cast; the plot had the usual twists and turns, nothing really surprising. But everyone was really good in it. Coincidentally, the kidnapped girl's boyfriend is the same actor as one of the McManus brothers in Boondock Saints.

The DVD for Suicide Kings has a couple of alternate endings; unfortunately none of them really hit home correctly. I never listen to director's commentary; if you have to tell me what you were trying to do, you probably didn't do it right. On another level, I don't care if you did do it right, if I'm not entertained, I don't want it explained. Or something.

I've never heard anyone compare either of these movies to Pulp Fiction, which really stands in a class of its own; such a comparison is definitely "BS".
Old 10-27-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Overhyped? Hmm. Guess that's why I liked it so much. I had heard in passing one or two mention that it was a good movie, but no hype about it. I was at the store and saw it on sale for $7, so I picked it up and watched it with some friends. We all loved it. In fact, of all the people I've ever watched it with, only one person didn't like it and that was because he didn't like the premise.

I never heard any of the "this is like Pulp Fiction" hype, and I guess that would have made me view the film in a different light if I had. The movie may not be a top 50, but it's one of the few that I can watch many times without ever becoming bored of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

There really seems to be a trend here, with those that went into the movie expecting nothing enjoying it, and those that heard these "Pulp Fiction", "greatest movie ever," references being (quite understandably) disappointed and angry about the whole thing, feeling they got duped.
Old 10-27-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What confuses me is when people say it's total crap. Now I think most movies that come out nowadays are "total crap," so it's not like I'm saying you're wrong, but again, those that really hate this movie, I am curious as to what movies have come out in the past few years that you enjoyed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually enjoy the vast majority of films I see, new and old. I dont love any movies from this genre, but I certainly have had a good time watching a nuber of them.

If it wasnt for the spoof/comedy factor, Boodock Saints would easily be the worst movie I have ever seen. Its been a while, maybe I was in a super cynical mood at the time.

Edit to add that I went in expecting a below average movie.