Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Re: closest game to poker, skill v. luck

RSP no doubt
Old 11-11-2005, 06:25 AM

What's the name of that game where you have a tower of wooden blocks and you have to take them away one at a time and place them on top? i think that would be pretty close.

or backgammon or risk of course..

but not football, a good team would slaughter a very bad one, no matter what..
Old 11-13-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if this has been posted before, i didn't see it, and i didn't find it in search, so here goes. What game (any game/sport/etc) is the closest to poker in terms of the short-term luck effects vs. the long-term skill effects? Obviously it's not something like chess, because I will never be able to beat a grandmaster, even in the short-term. I have an idea in mind, but I'd like to hear some other opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

I say WAR. Sure it's easy for the donks to suck out a win periodically, but the master will end up with those 52 cards more often in the long run!
Old 11-13-2005, 10:51 PM

Playing the stockmarket, especialy as a day/swing trader is about as close as you can get to playing poker...
Old 11-14-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say closest traditional game would be bridge, but there's this collectible card game called Magic: The Gathering which I think is pretty close to poker when looking at short time luck vs playing skill for any longer perioid of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

A weak deck really doesn't have much of a chance vs a strong deck in magic. Strong decks are just tweaked too perfectly.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but not football, a good team would slaughter a very bad one, no matter what..

[/ QUOTE ]

ehh, sometimes. I'd say football is more like playing heads-up poker. Certain teams have their strong points which affect the other team's game and ability to score (make plays/win pots).

Every time I watch a football game since reading this post I try and compare it to poker.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:17 PM

RUGBY

Great skill is required however the random bounce of the egg shaped ball striking an uneven surface adds a "luck element" that can only be moderatly controlled through skill.
Old 11-14-2005, 09:12 PM

Default Re: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

You do realize you are creating a board-game magoo fest right?

Ever been outplayed in Connect-Four?

-ZEN
Old 11-15-2005, 10:03 PM

Actually I think that golf is similar to poker in the respect of luck vs skill. The long run is very long in golf as it is in poker. Tiger Woods at his best (and he dominated in 2000) didn't even win half of his tourneys in 2000 (against 80-144 other players for four days). One hand of poker is somewhat comparable to one hole of golf. There is the luck of getting cards vs the luck of synchronizing your swing (more luck for bad than good players) and the luck of the roll in golf is significant. Even the worst players can make a birdie (or win a pot) periodically. That's what keeps them coming back in both.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Actually I think that golf is similar to poker in the respect of luck vs skill. The long run is very long in golf as it is in poker. Tiger Woods at his best (and he dominated in 2000) didn't even win half of his tourneys in 2000 (against 80-144 other players for four days). One hand of poker is somewhat comparable to one hole of golf. There is the luck of getting cards vs the luck of synchronizing your swing (more luck for bad than good players) and the luck of the roll in golf is significant. Even the worst players can make a birdie (or win a pot) periodically. That's what keeps them coming back in both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Golf takes a lot more skill than poker. The other side of the coin in this case isn't luck, but more mental. Same thing with tennis. Of course there is a little luck, but no where near the same extent of poker.