Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 08:16 PM

Default Re: BOB COSTAS RIPS POKER!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
more based on his poker in a bad light and making generalizations and stereotypes that are unfair.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the generalizations and stereotypes are that unfair at all.
Many times when I play live I'm not exactly impressed with the quality of people I'm sitting with.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I
I'm a chess-player too....and a few years ago there was a serious movement in the international chess federation (FIDE) to make chess an olympic 'sport'. They thought it would be good for the worldwide appeal of chess.
One of the first steps was instituting drug-testing at their major events...because chess couldn't be considered an olympic sport unless they started doing that first (or something like that).
Most chess players thought it was completely idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hear that the Bridge Federation, or whatever the [censored] they call themselves was considering drug testing for the same reason.

Imagine drug testing poker players after the WSOP.
Old 08-17-2005, 10:50 PM

Yes...they had a story about the Bridge thing on the Daily Show a few months ago.

I don't know how serious the Bridge movement was....but it was a big deal in the chess world.
Almost every issue of Chess Life magazine had some various letters to the editor or editorials for several months, etc etc.

Various top players were willing to do it if they thought it was for the long-term good of chess...while others were refusing to participate in any tournaments that were parttaking in these ridiculous policies.

I believe that even the USCF (US Chess Fed) came out with their own official position that FIDE (Federation International de echess or something like that) was really out of bounds for their militant stance on this whole 'drug-testing so we can get in the olympics issue'.
Most chess players acknowledged that it was pretty much a ridiculous long-shot anyway (and whether or not 'chess is a sport' came up as well similar to how 'poker is/isn't a sport' came again in this thread).

Of course, also involved in that argument was whether any drugs could help one's mental abilitiers at the chess-board anyway. Is there some sort of mental-power steroid out there?
The whole bit about Ginseng being good for one's memory was considered...but I don't think Ginseng was on the list of banned substances anyway.

It's not like steroids or pot are likely to HELP one's ability at the chess-board.

Anyway, the whole chess drug-testing for olympic-consideration situation got REALLY out of hand.
To my knowledge..that's all in the past (but I'm not much of a chess-player anymore and don't keep up on the politics as I used to)
Old 08-18-2005, 12:29 AM

otoh, you know what they say about publicity. He effectively advertised the new NY Times sports page Poker column, embedded in the unique subtle currents of Costas humor. Remember, earlier in the show they were talking about how silly it is to take good natured ribbing too seriously.

PairTheBoard
Old 08-18-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The point that poker is not a sport is valid. So is the point about poker being full of over weight, pasty faced white guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, bowling and golf aren't sports either?

[/ QUOTE ]

Poker is not a sport, not because it is played by fat white guys, but because it involves little physical skill. Bowling is a sport now populated mostly by pretty fit white guys; most pros do some serious weight training, etc on the PBA tour.

NT
Old 08-18-2005, 02:43 AM

1. poker isnt a sport

2. why is the thread title in caps
Old 08-18-2005, 03:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Did anyone see Costas Now this week? At the end of the show he does a commentary on poker. He portrays poker players as degenerate, pasty faced, overweight losers. And shouldn't call poker a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't see this show, so assuming the quote is correct it looks like Bob Costas is my new hero. Way to go, Bob! Tell it like it is!
Old 08-18-2005, 04:24 AM

Many people play poker. There are all walks of life in any activity. To say there all lowlifes is unfair. Heis essentially calling you a degenerate lowlife beause you are a poker player. Is that fair?
Old 08-18-2005, 04:28 AM

3) why is it important to you whether its in caps?

4) You are making Bob's comments about poker players a little more understandable. I hope your not the majority or Bob may be right!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there some sort of mental-power steroid out there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Caffeine.