Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: Good use of the turn donk?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What is your definition of hand protection and why is it better than my definition?

[/ QUOTE ]
Dude, why are you pursuing this? You may as well say "I've decided to call my TV a soapdish. Why is your name any better than my name?' and then expect people to understand what you're talking about when you say you're spending $500 on a new soapdish.

There is a standard definition of "protection" in this forum and, quite frankly, everyplace else. If you choose to have the word 'protection' mean something different for you than it does for everyone else that's your preroggative I guess, but don't expect to be able to communicate with anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to post something similar to this. It doesn't matter what you call it. It's exactly like what you're saying.

The problem is that people keep saying stuff that doesn't make sense. Something like, "my opponent is making a +EV call at first." That's not true. We're going to check-raise whether he knows it or not and our check-raise makes the first call unprofitable. Everyone, other than you, keeps focusing on things like this and it's a little frustrating.

Anyway, I'm not arguing about the definition of protection anymore. Who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are completely incorrect because you are still not taking into account the pot size. If the opponent KNEW that I would checkraise and that each of his 3 opponents would go to the river for 2 big bets each (adding 8 BB's to the pot size) then he is correct in calling both bets. Therefore, by definition, I have NOT protected my hand. A lot of people are making a lotof sense here. Are you sure you're not confusing Sklansky's fundemental theory of poker and hand protection.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Good use of the turn donk?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My thinking on the turn was that I wanted MP2 to raise again in order to protect my hand against the latter two player's possible 5-6 out hands.

[/ QUOTE ]
MP2 is more likely to bet when checked to than raise when bet into, thus you are more likely to be able to protect your hand by check-raising than by betting.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're not protecting your hand by check-raising the turn - no-one is going to fold for one more bet after you check-raise. What you are doing is getting value from calls that are drawing thin.

[/ QUOTE ]

It doesn't matter if they call or fold. Protecting your hand happens when you put someone in a position where they lose (i.e., their choice is to fold or call incorrectly). If they have to put two bets in on the turn when they only have the odds to put in one, they've lost. When you put them in this situation, you've protected your hand. It doesn't matter whether they know they'll have to put in two or not. Even if they have odds to call the first bet, they shouldn't because that means they'll have to put in another one.
We've made our opponents make a mistake. We've protected our hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I AGREE!