Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Won the stars $500+$30...

[ QUOTE ]

Beef I started watching your comback when you put in your last $714 bucks...it was some crazy ass [censored]...I think you scared the crap out of everyone at the table except EasyH.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope so. I gotta give EasyH (Hoyt, I think) credit. He applied pressure consistently the entire way through. He stole some pots off me with pure balls - he knew I didn't want to risk getting in a tangle with him and bust out 7th or whatever when I had the 2nd chip stack, and he was willing to throw the chips in to back that up. I was more glad when someone doubled up off him and took half his chips than when most of the people busted out, to be honest. Once the chips were out of his hands, I was able to handle him much more effectively.

[ QUOTE ]

Did you put up the full $500 or did you get in on a satellite and if so which one and how much did you spend in sat's in order to get into the Tourney?

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent $62 in a $22 rebuy. A buy in, an immediate rebuy, and an add on. I found these tournies to be so soft, if you properly adjusted to their structure, that I ended up playing 6 and winning 4 of them - an extra $1590 of tourney bucks in addition to the seat. On some I had to invest more than $62 though, but still quite profitable.

[ QUOTE ]

What was your play like up too the top 50/100?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just trying to play solidly early on, try to enter the pot when I had the best of it, a pretty standard tight-aggresive game. When the blinds started going up with 200 people left or so I became more aggressive, more willing to make moves on people preflop to steal their raises because the size of a 4X BB raise became worth it. Once we were down to 120 or so, I tried to bully stacks I had covered, because there's a huge psychological advantage knowing that no one wants to bust out when they have a decent enough stack to make the money.

Really, I can't say I played with any particular style, I just tried to adjust my play for the table properly. My mind was totally clear and I don't feel that I made any major bad decisions all tournament - some borderline ones that could've gone either way, and some very solid reads - I was just on top of my game and it worked out for me.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:45 PM

Senor,

Congrats! Great job. I won my first MTT a few weeks ago and I am still trying to duplicate the feeling. I can only imagine the elation associated with one of this size. Again, well done.

-Jarid
Old 07-26-2004, 08:13 PM

I just saw a few hands, you were extremely lucky around < 20 people left with your coin flips. You took the 50-50 risks a few times and luckily came out on top just about every time from what I saw. I saw you double up against my friend with 33 vs his KJo
Old 07-26-2004, 08:26 PM

Yeah, I got very lucky when I was totally crippled, but I was coming back from 1.5k chips. I was in desperate situations where I basically had to force every hand and hope to get lucky. I did. But I didn't make the wrong decisions - I was forced by circumstance.

Other than that series of about 10 hands, I wasn't especially lucky.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:30 PM

Btw I'll try to write up a report tomorrow, I was busy today and now I'm pretty worn out.

I want to look over some hand histories again, but it's going to be annoying because stars sends them in reverse chronological order. Any way to change that?
Old 07-26-2004, 09:02 PM

Cognradulations senorbeef, I look forward to reading your report tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:48 PM

Default Re: S-Corp is the way to go.

Ok, if you S-corp it (once again, like everyone said consult a CPA).

You transfer the money to your corp, file the papers, etc.

You deduct from you winnings expenses for your company.
i.e. your computer, your cable modem fees for the year, entry fees, etc.
talk to your friends over dinner about poker, and how to be better at the game. Save the receipts and write thier names on the back, expense it...
Also, take a vacation with your wife go someplace and play poker. Then have your company pay for it...
Have your company create the poker-childrens-scholorship savings fund...

At the end of the year
You either
a) pay corperate taxes on it and leave the money in your company
b) pay a dividen to yourself and your wife for yearly performance.
c) give yourself a year-end bonus which you will pay taxes on.

By doing this, at the very least you have made a little tax free money.

Yes, I am over simplifying it, but those are the ideas to start with.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When the blinds started going up with 200 people left or so I became more aggressive, more willing to make moves on people preflop to steal their raises because the size of a 4X BB raise became worth it. Once we were down to 120 or so, I tried to bully stacks I had covered, because there's a huge psychological advantage knowing that no one wants to bust out when they have a decent enough stack to make the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is just basic, solid advice, worth repeating for us students of poker...
Old 07-27-2004, 01:37 AM

Senior;

Congrats on the victory. I'd encourage you to pay your fair share of taxes. If you are successful long-term at this - you will eventually be audited. If you are you will not want that skeleton in the closet. There is no statute of limitations on failure to report income - there are very very stiff penalties and interest associated with it.

However, you certainly could use some tax advise - and planning right now - to work your way through deductible expenses in 2004 to offset a sizeable chunk of that egg. Stay away from any tax "shams" as they will get you in more hot water - don't try to get cute with the Service - they dont tolerate it.

Work with a creative tax accountant - he/she will be worth it and you may enjoy the deductions throughout the remainder of 2004 - via one tax shelter or another. I will offer no specific suggestions, however to please pay your "fair share" whatever that may be - in the long run you will never regret it or have a sleepless night over it.

Life is too short - enjoy the victory / the cash / and the more important things in life (family).

Congrats again,
Old 07-27-2004, 02:15 AM

that was a great comeback! when i was watching you had around 700 left after putting in the 600 ante lol! i cant wait for the tourney report great job