Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: CHOOSE YOUR OWN ADVENTURE
CALL (and then brag or complain afterwards) 13 18.84%
FOLD (and then have yet another restless night of sleep) 56 81.16%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Re: $33 Poll: 8 Left; 15/30 Blinds

I should also say that if the villian is aggressive enough to bet an 8 on the flop, they most likely won't turn into a passive slow player when I show strength. This is why I don't put the villian on an 8 after that hypothetical situation.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:31 PM

hey Zip, if you put him on a PP, how is your hand good?
Old 10-26-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
hey Zip, if you put him on a PP, how is your hand good?

[/ QUOTE ]

In SS's hypothetical hand, I got a Q on the turn. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 PM

this is a STT forum though, and this hand is marginal at best and very early in the sng. most of us try to avoid this situation. i might limp this preflop, but i definitely wouldnt even play this post flop. this is a very isolated and borderline situation and you shouldnt judge the forum's play because we wouldnt play this hand the way you would. like i said, this move is better served later on in the sng, but if you keep making this move, you will never be able to play it in a situation where it would most benefit you.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:34 PM

got ya lol...
Old 10-26-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You didn't answer the question that was most important to your cause...

[ QUOTE ]
Lets say you raise his bet to 200 (140 back to him)as you mentioned. He cold calls you and the turn is a Q. He checks.... action? the pot is 490 now. What if he bets 200 into the pot on the turn instead of checking?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is soooooo important that you know what you will do before it happens. At least should have an idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would push. I don't put villian on an 8. If he calls, I put him on a pp lower than Q, in which case my hand is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why a raise on the flop is bad. Even if you connect the turn you are behind too often. You are way ahead or way behind here. You will unlikely double up to a moron and will get called ever single time by 8x.

You want situations you can take down a cheap flop. A minraise on the flop is much more effective then a bet to 200 imo.

Play the way you want. Almost everyone has pointed out reasons to get away from this hand, but you dont want to believe any of them.

At the 33s I see this as FPS. at the 55s it is iffy. At the 109s you need to start thinking more about hands like this, but not yet.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should also say that if the villian is aggressive enough to bet an 8 on the flop, they most likely won't turn into a passive slow player when I show strength. This is why I don't put the villian on an 8 after that hypothetical situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have the 8 as the BB. I do just that. You showed me that you are willing to possibly put all your chips at risk. There is no draw on the board. I cold call your flop raise and check the turn to you. If you bet, I push. If you check, I value bet the river.

The way you are playing you dont find out if he has an 8 unless you pay him. If you catch you are willing to risk everything that he doesnt have an 8 and that he doesnt have your 2pair beat in another way.

You said you were willing to get away from the hand If you caught.

You cleary are not able to get away at all.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:50 PM

[quote
This is why a raise on the flop is bad. Even if you connect the turn you are behind too often. You are way ahead or way behind here. You will unlikely double up to a moron and will get called ever single time by 8x.

[/ QUOTE ]
In case you missed it, or choose to ignore my second response...
"I should also say that if the villian is aggressive enough to bet an 8 on the flop, they most likely won't turn into a passive slow player when I show strength. This is why I don't put the villian on an 8 after that hypothetical situation. "

[ QUOTE ]

You want situations you can take down a cheap flop. A minraise on the flop is much more effective then a bet to 200 imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I tend to think that small raises are ineffective, because it's soooo easy for Ax to call a min raise, but not a pot sized raise.

[ QUOTE ]

Play the way you want. Almost everyone has pointed out reasons to get away from this hand, but you dont want to believe any of them.

[/ QUOTE ]
I believe I have agreed with many things people have said. I'm just playing the devils advocate to provoke thought.

[ QUOTE ]

At the 33s I see this as FPS. at the 55s it is iffy. At the 109s you need to start thinking more about hands like this, but not yet.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably a very important perspective. For those that play higher levels, do people regularly bluff at flops like the one posted? How do you respond? (esp. since you start with more chips)
Old 10-26-2005, 02:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have the 8 as the BB. I do just that. You showed me that you are willing to possibly put all your chips at risk. There is no draw on the board. I cold call your flop raise and check the turn to you. If you bet, I push. If you check, I value bet the river.

The way you are playing you dont find out if he has an 8 unless you pay him. If you catch you are willing to risk everything that he doesnt have an 8 and that he doesnt have your 2pair beat in another way.

You said you were willing to get away from the hand If you caught.

You cleary are not able to get away at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said I was willing to get away, because I do think you're wrong about most opponents with an 8 here. I'm willing to get away because opponents agressive enough to raise will reraise, and MOST will not bet at all on the flop, especially at the 33s.

Edit: what I am trying to say is that I'm only "unable to get away" if you are correct about the villians probable course of action.
Old 10-26-2005, 02:54 PM

Hey Zip, I see this hand turning into this:

Link

Different situation, same title [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]