Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you we molested by MJ and he paid you 20+ million to drop the charges would you testify against h
Yup 15 39.47%
Nope 23 60.53%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-10-2005, 03:16 AM

Default Re: A Looming Republican Fissure?

[ QUOTE ]
[...but there is a real question regarding confirmation, and that has to inform the initial nomination...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no doubt a pro-life nominee will be confirmed. The Democrats simply don't have the votes to defeat the nominee and the Republican members of the compromise group have said they won't allow a filibuster.

The Democrats are going to make a lot of noise. But, Bush is going to get his nominees through much easier than most people seem to think.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[...but there is a real question regarding confirmation, and that has to inform the initial nomination...

[/ QUOTE ]

There's no doubt a pro-life nominee will be confirmed. The Democrats simply don't have the votes to defeat the nominee and the Republican members of the compromise group have said they won't allow a filibuster.

The Democrats are going to make a lot of noise. But, Bush is going to get his nominees through much easier than most people seem to think.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I am actually quite confussed as to why people don't understand this. I keep hearing democrates confidently talk about the filibuster as if they have not listened the republican members of the compromise how have our right stated that they will not allow a fillibuster for judges based in ideology.

Additionally they seem unable to accept what I believe to be a fact which is while the public may not care about the appellate court they will not tolerate hearing everyday day at the top of news how the democrates are not allowing a vote which they are unable to defeat.

Bush is going to win here and win big.
Old 07-10-2005, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Only 15 people have voted in this at the time of this post. But, 8 are voting for a "No" option. It amazes me how much you guys don't understand President Bush.

There is absolutely no chance of him nominating a Supreme Court justice that isn't pro-life. He's not going to "take one for the team". He's going to nominate pro-life justices and, after a fight, the Republican-controlled Senate will approve them.

I really am stunned so many people think Bush would suddenly abandon one of his core beliefs. Is this just some kind of wishful thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]
Because Alberto Gonzales exists. Because Bush would abandon abortion if the right judge came up.

No doubt Bush is winning big here, and Bush should know he pretty much can choose anyone he sees fit, and this is the perfect spot to sneak Alberto Gonzales or someone that may not overturn Roe vs. Wade, but who he personally likes and feels would be very good for the job.

Bush gets the chance to pick multiple justices this time around. There's a chance, I think a signifigant one that he chooses just one that doesn't support overturning Roe vs. Wade.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's those seven republicans who are the question...it's not obvious to me that there are fifty votes to change the rule, or sixty to end a particular block, in light of snow and similar "moderates"...but we shall see, and I hope you're right (not on the pro life point in particular, but in terms of overall philosophy)
Old 07-10-2005, 10:14 PM

Will a Bush nominee outlaw abortion or will a Bush nominee allow the people to decide what they want? Hence, will a Bush nominee really hold true to a "contrained" role or will a Bush nominee simply be an activist judge in the opposite direction?
Old 07-11-2005, 02:15 AM

Default Another cactus sighting

Are you seriously considering that Bush would choose something, anything, in order to "save himself the embarassment"??

Then, I have another poll for you :

WHERE DOES A REPUBLICAN GET A THICKER SKIN ?

--> STANDING UNDER THE TEXAS BLISTERING SUN FOR YEARS ON END
--> IN WASHINGTON

By the way, your poll is biased since it essentially has two possible No answers and one Yes answer.

I will let Mason elaborate. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]