Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: This Ought To Get Some Replies

Just curious who YOU believe wrote the gospels. Isn't this incredibly important? You are putting a major amount of your faith and very being into all of this stuff.

Not knowing who wrote the gospels in addition to the wacky stories that fly in the face of reality, are big reasons why I'm an atheist. Perhaps if I knew and trusted those who wrote the gospels, I could overlook some of the tales that defy all reason. Nah... I probably still couldn't overlook it. But I would at least make more of an effort to understand Christian beliefs.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 PM

"Perhaps if I knew and trusted those who wrote the gospels, I could overlook some of the tales that defy all reason. Nah"

So why answer your question? Just to here you say nah?
Nah.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When phil153 was OOO with the umlats, I thought he had some good posts. I can’t figure out what happened when he devolved into phil153. Witness the following statements of his:

[ QUOTE ]
I question whether he (Jesus) ever existed. ...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Phil is a bit looney... but I agree with this quoted statement of his. I mean, I'm sure SOME guy named Jesus existed... and some of the details are probably accurate... but which ones, and how many... that's definitely questionable. And, in the end, if you don't know which details of the Biblical Jesus are true, it's hard to say that that Jesus actually existed.

PS: I really liked your first reply in this thread. I agree with most of it, too. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 01:02 PM

"Since, in the long run, the busier these forums are, the more money I make . . ."

Alas, another reason for me to regret my 12,000 posts . . . [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2005, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They breed like rabbits and exhibit widespread features of low intelligence, poor coping skills and aggressive, anti social behaviour.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess he's talking about Asians (over 1/2 the world's population), but I always thought they did well on the SAT's. Geez, now I regret copying off that Indian fellow in calculus...Now as for aggression, the most aggressive races are without a doubt, whites (beginning with the Greeks, Romans, Hapsburg Empires (spelling?), the European colonial era, the world wars, the American Vietnam action, we killed millions. Second would have to be the Mongolians, who sacked Europe and had a holocaust bigger than the Germans' in WWII.

[ QUOTE ]
Half of all murders (and much of the crime) in the U.S. are caused by a particular race...

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know the homicide by race stats, but I do know from Criminology and Sociology that 80% of this country's homicides occur when the perp, victim or both have been drinking alcohol. Maybe it's malt the liquor (just kidding here posters...lol) That said, I have trouble believing this statistic, is it accurate?

[ QUOTE ]
Despite many years and government efforts, the SAT scores of a certain race remain shockingly low.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, if he's referring to Africans and not Asians (see above) this fact is off. It's a given that the predominantly African-American schools in this country see less money per child than those high SAT-scoring white MOFO's

[ QUOTE ]
Asians routinely outperform whites and are disproportionately represented at elite universities, despite being a minority and in spite of poverty and limited integration into society."

[/ QUOTE ]

This fact is a misrepresentation. Foreign born and educated Asians outscore whites on the SAT's. Seems their highschools are better than ours.

Let's sum it up, these statements are pure ignorance. Moreover, all of the above doesn't even address the most crucial reason the African nations are in utter despair, which is that the white-sponsored slave trade literally ripped wounds in these countries that will take 100's of years to heal.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:29 PM

Frankly, I think there is a very valid point here. The current status of the black race genuinely appears to be bad, as far as mental capability is concerned. However, I don't believe that it's inherent to the race. That is, I believe that someone could, in principle, embark on a selective breeding campaign to turn the black race into the (statistically) most intelligent race after many generations. This might, of course, be evil and involve the "removal" of the bottom end of the bell curve, but it emphasizes the point that the mental capability of any given race is a dynamical variable and not a fixed, inherent trait.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:17 PM

So much to say, so little time.

Race matters.

If you're US educated and under 40 your view is polluted with PC garbage and you will unlikely be able to get past your indoctrination to examine the evidence objectively. If you're a Democrat/liberal you won't be able to address the issue honestly under any circumstances.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So much to say, so little time.

Race matters.

If you're US educated and under 40 your view is polluted with PC garbage and you will unlikely be able to get past your indoctrination to examine the evidence objectively. If you're a Democrat/liberal you won't be able to address the issue honestly under any circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

what the hell do political views have to do with interpreting scientific and statistical evidence? you are from sub-saharan africa aren't you?
Old 12-23-2005, 12:35 AM

"what the hell do political views have to do with interpreting scientific and statistical evidence? "

Everything related to this topic is interrelated with much bigger political issues. Spin is everywhere, much like the global warming/cooling debate. Few are strictly analytical.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:45 AM

Default Typical

The original poster, whom Sklansky is quoting, is confusing racial characteristics with cultural characteristics. Then he concludes that culture is tied to race.

It's all one big, long, very long, fat turd. I've seen longer and fatter turds but I don't bother telling about them enthusiastically on public forums, like Sklansky does!

Of course, Sklansky has a reason to be interested in human manure:

[ QUOTE ]
The busier these forums are, the more money I make.

[/ QUOTE ]