Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Too fancy of a car?

If you're a "long-term, save money" kind of person, the correct answer is obviously, stick with your Corolla. But I have nothing against getting a new car. Hell, I'd get one if I had 40-50k extra. (Extra meaning, I'm well-bankrolled for my stakes, I have extra spending money, I have money for my life expenses, etc etc, AND I have another 40k.) If you ask me for a specific price range, I'd say 20k or maybe 30k won't be too flashy (unless your first job is going to be at McDonald's, in which case your corolla may already be a "luxury"). I'd really say it depends a lot on the car though. Driving something like a Camaro looks flashier and will make you look like more of a deuchebag than a BMW 3-series (this is all IMHO, of course). So my answer to you is, if you're planning on spending 40k on a Corvette, and you worry that it'll look too flashy, then don't do it. If you're looking into a standard luxury car (ie. BMW, Audi, Mercedes), then I have no gripes. Keep in mind that this is coming from someone who is considering buying a car himself in a couple years when his bankroll has grown.

To peachy: You do seem overly proud of your M3. But who gives a [censored]? If I had 50k to spend right now, it'd be the car I'd get as well. Even though I wouldn't post about it (not too much, at least) on an internet message board, I'd probably talk about it enough that one of my friends would break my jaw. THEN I'd post about it on OOT until I could take the cast off.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To peachy: You do seem overly proud of your M3. But who gives a [censored]? If I had 50k to spend right now, it'd be the car I'd get as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

She doesn't even have the $50k+ variety. She has the $20k-$25k E36 variety. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Not that that's at all bad. I love the E36 M3.
Old 08-25-2005, 03:59 PM

You don't mention what you're looking for in a car, so it's hard to say. If you're looking for luxury, I'd say you could get a fully loaded Accord or Camry for well under $30k, an A4 or 3 series for not much more, or something really lux a year or two old for less.

I'd probably tell my co-workers that I got a great deal on a lease, though.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:06 PM

If you want a nice car get a nice car and [censored] what anybody thinks.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:06 PM

im definitely going to be tempted to buy a m3 as soon as i go to college. though i don't like the latest incarnations. probably a good thing, preowned is cheaper anyway [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 04:23 PM

i was told that when buying a car think of it like you would your bankroll. just because you have 1K and can buy in for the max at a 5/10NL table that doesn't mean you should do it.

wait until you have the proper net worth that supports a 40K car (it might be right now, i do not know your financial situation).

if its not logical don't do it, stick with the corolla till' it's done or until your feet or on the ground with your new job and you have a feel for things.

and it's stupid to listen to anyone that just says "don't do it" and doesn't say anything else, i hate it when people look at others with nice things and judge, calling them a "douchebag" or a "prick" b/c he can AFFORD what he has. now if he is driving a mercedes and has to live with his parents and eat spam b/c he spent all his money on his car then that would definately make him a douchebag. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 08-25-2005, 04:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and it's stupid to listen to anyone that just says "don't do it" and doesn't say anything else

[/ QUOTE ]
What if he comes back and gives the real, good answer 15 replies (23 minutes) later?
Old 08-25-2005, 04:41 PM

are you kidding? saying that you're not proud of your m3 and then citing its gas mileage is even dumber than both trying to show off that you have an m3 in an online forum AND denying that you're proud of it. lol.

corolla owner, get whatever you want, i'd advocate keeping it, but just remember that 40k is not just the 40k b/c of maintenance and gas costs, etc.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
just remember that 40k is not just the 40k b/c of maintenance and gas costs, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
And INSURANCE for a young man driving a 40k car.
Old 08-25-2005, 04:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What if he comes back and gives the real, good answer 15 replies (23 minutes) later?

[/ QUOTE ]
ahhh patrick you weren't being a post count whore were ya? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

this thread should have died after your serious post actually. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]