Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 07:55 PM

Default Re: How many buy-ins must you lose before calling it quits for the day

[ QUOTE ]
I'm uncomfortable not knowing how much I'm up or down for a session.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the same. I cant possibly see what one can gain by depriving themselves this information...
Old 11-25-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the best thing to do however is to just not look at the cashier or PT to see what you are at for the day

[/ QUOTE ]

sometimes i get obsessive when I'm up quite a bit for the day, or made a nice score in a very short amount of time.

I'm debating with myself, I could.... should quit, but lets just play another orbit and try to stack this donkey. Okay one more orbit, this semi-donk is gonna giiiiiif me allllllllll his chips.

Then I'll push a marginal hand against the semi-donk and go and be pissed when I lose my stack. Then go on tilt blow through an entire winning day to chaulk up a nice loss.

If I could have one lame-O magic device / power - it would tell me when I should quit for that day.

For the most part I am over / almost over this after dumping nearly 20K over a few sessions, then doing A LOT of self reflection. Nothing teaches like the hard knocks [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that if I DIDN'T check the cashier I wouldn't recognize I was on tilt. My non-tilt play and tilt play is so similar it's hard to tell how tilted I really am. I never really lose money unless I'm on full-blown-monkey tilt, so checking the cashier is the only way to tell if I'm on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a lot less scientific of a method than i expected from someone who seems to be a very good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I use the formula:

"% of Quitting = Tilt Factor" = Sigma Nx where N is the constant "Bobbo's constant of br management," or just 32.33 repeating, x=buyins lost ; square that, take the integral of the probability sum of busting your opponents / before they bust you, divide this by fraction of number of seats open over seats taken. Convert to a %, make sure you throw in a few more constants and variables.

How come the best formula isnt just "I quit when I no longer play my A game" ? If I listened to that, instead of "THESE CLOWNS F'ING SUCK, I AM SO MUCH BETTER, HOW COME I AM LOSING, MORE TABLES MORE TABLES MORE TABLES, HU ANYONE?" I'd be wealthier.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

How come the best formula isnt just "I quit when I no longer play my A game" ? If I listened to that, instead of "THESE CLOWNS F'ING SUCK, I AM SO MUCH BETTER, HOW COME I AM LOSING, MORE TABLES MORE TABLES MORE TABLES, HU ANYONE?" I'd be wealthier.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds just like me, ugh.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I try as hard as I can to avoid knowing how much I'm up or down. I get rid of the $ Won and BB/100 in GT+ everytime I start it up, and try to click reload chips without seeing how much my account balance is at. Invariably, I slip and look every few days.

If I know exactly how much I'm down in a session, I'm always disappointed. Even if I jump up 3 buy-ins quickly, if I know exactly how much I made, I'll be pissed off if I drop below +3 buy-ins or go 100 hands and I'm still at +3. It's way better for me to have no idea until I go to withdraw (or deposit recently [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]).

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to try to do this, but it was pretty much impossible. Curiosity always outweighed the original plan.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the best thing to do however is to just not look at the cashier or PT to see what you are at for the day

[/ QUOTE ]

Kane never looked at the cashier. And he lost 90% of his bankroll in a few hours.

Learn from Kane: check your cashier.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:12 PM

I THINK PEOPLE THAT DON'T HAVE STOP LOSS LIMITS ARE STUPID. Well unless they are able to be 100% honest about how much tilt they are on and can not go on tilt over losing a bunch of money. Hell I play $0.5/1 razz and go on tilt after losing a few hands in a row.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find that if I DIDN'T check the cashier I wouldn't recognize I was on tilt. My non-tilt play and tilt play is so similar it's hard to tell how tilted I really am. I never really lose money unless I'm on full-blown-monkey tilt, so checking the cashier is the only way to tell if I'm on tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a lot less scientific of a method than i expected from someone who seems to be a very good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

looks can be deceiving.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:41 PM

I think a lot of people go on tilt because they have lost more money than they can handle.
I go by a very conservative bankroll management rule; I always have at least 100 buy ins for any given level that i play at and I feel like that that helps me with handeling losses and tilt.

I dont have a stop loss limit, but i feel like i'm being enough honest with myself when i'm on tilt.
Sometimes though i might notice it one hand too late which is horrible but then i definatly call it a night or take a break.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
; I always have at least 100 buy ins for any given level that i play at and I feel like that that helps me with handeling losses and tilt.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow.

for the most part. if you have amassed 100 buyins at levels below 5-10, then you should already be considering moving up.

100 buy ins? jeez. i thought i was cautious with 40 for SH'd 10-20 play.