Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Johnny Chan story

[ QUOTE ]
Chan knows how to play, that's for sure. Given that, why does he show these laydowns? I know many 2+2ers would NEVER show these hands, including myself. I have enough problems in tournaments without giving information away. So why?

I can only think of 2 reasons:

1. Out of frustration - this doesn't seem likely, given the caliber of his play, and the fact that he basically just sat down at the table.

2. Because he feels that it will help him gain/save chips later: But how? Anyone have any ideas?

Augie

[/ QUOTE ]

do you know how many small/medium pots he's going to be able to pick up because he showed? who the F is gonna wanna tangle with someone who correctly folded KK preflop? besides, he's johnny Fvcking chan!
Old 07-07-2005, 04:45 AM

i would say wow... but thats being overused... AMAZING

[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] Kasey [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 07-07-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He does have one huge advantage. He is Johnny Chan and knows that other players, especially guys who look like nervous newbies know who he is and fear him. So when he makes a solid raise and another guy re-raises him big and then appears to be fairly confident, Chan has an easier time of figuring the guy for AA than we would since we could assume a fair amount of the time that the opponent is making a move on us. Does that make sense?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ding ding ding.

Exactly what I thought. Chan has been playing with the rep he's built for the better part of 20 years. You don't think he can see when people are gunning for him at a table?

I bet EVERY pro worth his or her weight has this ability, and it's probably a big reason why they're succeeding this year. There has to be so many nervous newbies that want to be the one to KO Chan or Hellmuth or whomever they recognize from TV.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:48 AM

Given that he had correct reads both times, why is he showing his hands? Is he showing his laydowns for a reason???
I guarandangteeya it's not to show what a great player he is...that's already been established.
Is it possible he is setting the table up for later steal raises? Would be willing to give up some equity up front when the pots are relatively cheap to steal some key pots later on?
I am of the opinion that these pros never do anything unless thay have an alterior motive.
I wish to hear some serious answers, I am truly perplexed (normal for me! [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]).
Old 07-07-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that he had correct reads both times, why is he showing his hands? Is he showing his laydowns for a reason???

[/ QUOTE ]

Just look at the response in this thread. If he layed those down to me and I had AA I would be scared to death that I was giving off some tell that only Johnny Chan could figure out.

Just laying out that fear would be enough for him to pick up a boatload of cheap pots.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:14 AM

I think they're good laydowns but not all that surprising.

Beginner limps UTG+1, and reraises top ten player early in tournament, when play is tight.

SB makes large c/r on nothing flop.

The lesson here is don't limp aces.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Maybe he works for an Internet Site and is trying to send everyone home never to come back.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:11 PM

Jesus Christ. That's impressive, had to be fun (if intimidating) to watch.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think they're good laydowns but not all that surprising.

Beginner limps UTG+1, and reraises top ten player early in tournament, when play is tight.

SB makes large c/r on nothing flop.

The lesson here is don't limp aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you fold your kings in hand 1? Is your read THAT good? Maybe that player is limp/reraising because he knows it will scare you (which apparently it will).

JCCHAN IN THE MAN!
Old 07-07-2005, 01:31 PM

We are not talking about my play here.

What is a beginner limp raising a top ten player with? From Chan's point of view its not even QQ. I imagine he has experienced both cases at least once and has some strong opinions even without a physical read. Same thing with the second hand.

His record speaks for his ability; these are probably disciplined folds.