Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 12:01 AM

Default Re: Moving between limits - question for top players

Not saying this is El D's rationale, but just because one game is 'the most profitable game' (i.e. has the most dead money basically) doesn't mean it is the most profitable game for every player. For example, if there were a player who could crush the NL50/100 games, that would certainly be more profitable for them than playing the 10/20s. But the 50/100 would still not be a 'good' game, if for no other reason than that one sick pro.
Old 09-16-2005, 12:24 AM

OK, well I'm no top player, but I DO bounce from 2/4 NL which I 4 table to 10/20 which I 2-3 table usually. My win rate is alot higher at 10/20, but It's pretty good at 2/4 and 3/6 too, and I can play a little wilder and work on spots in my game which I feel need work without worrying out getting crushed by variance. When I would play limit tho, I couldn't play that much lower, just because it didn't mean enough to me, but when you can still be making low 3 figures an hour on average playing the 2/4 and 3-6, it's more than just a nice respite from the pressure of higher games.
Old 09-16-2005, 01:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

diablo, you have said a few times that you think the party2k is the most profitable nl game online. if this is the case, why do you play the 10-25 and 25-50 ub games? i understand that you don't play cards as your source of income, so do you play the games on ub primarily as recreation, or a "challenge"?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the interface on Party.
The games go much slower.
The average action per hand is less, since there are way more underbets vs. UB pot bets.

However, the games are WAY better. If I played on Party, I would almost surely make more than I make on UB. I just find the games less fun. If I were playing for a living, I would definitely multi Party games.

For me, poker is something I do to make money AND have fun AND keep myself mentally challenged to some degree. UB games do all three of those things, Party games mainly satisfy just one.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:23 AM

Its tought but i feel like its for people who have to do it more or less. Very few players have discipline enough when they have too much money to play at a low game. Most are pros and are searching for the most profitable game. Me i w ant the most action cause profit isnt so important as the trhill. Whule i have talent i have to much disposable income so unless i play 10-25 and up i wont feel any pain losing. Although i wish i could,
Old 09-16-2005, 03:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The average action per hand is less, since there are way more underbets vs. UB pot bets.

However, the games are WAY better. If I played on Party, I would almost surely make more than I make on UB. I just find the games less fun. If I were playing for a living, I would definitely multi Party games.

For me, poker is something I do to make money AND have fun AND keep myself mentally challenged to some degree. UB games do all three of those things, Party games mainly satisfy just one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be too nosy I hope...but why dont you play for a living diablo? Sounds like your a 400/hr guy if you drop down to party 2k. If you only get 30 hr a week, thats 600k a year. If you hit it hard, obviously more lucrative than just about anything else.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
can you actually get 75 hands per hour?

[/ QUOTE ]

short handed.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just did some math. Avg. 93.5 hands/hr through PT. 4 Tabling, you need to beat it for 5.31BB/100 to avg $400/hr.

[/ QUOTE ]

this isnt correct.

4 tabling will probally put you at around 300 hands/hr
Old 09-16-2005, 03:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not saying this is El D's rationale, but just because one game is 'the most profitable game' (i.e. has the most dead money basically) doesn't mean it is the most profitable game for every player. For example, if there were a player who could crush the NL50/100 games, that would certainly be more profitable for them than playing the 10/20s. But the 50/100 would still not be a 'good' game, if for no other reason than that one sick pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

im not sure if this is true to be completely honest.
Old 09-16-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to be too nosy I hope...but why dont you play for a living diablo? Sounds like your a 400/hr guy if you drop down to party 2k. If you only get 30 hr a week, thats 600k a year. If you hit it hard, obviously more lucrative than just about anything else.

[/ QUOTE ]
because poker gets boring and tedious. there are many pursuits that are far more rewarding and fulfilling and, yes, even more lucrative than poker.
Old 09-16-2005, 04:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
because poker gets boring and tedious. there are many pursuits that are far more rewarding and fulfilling and, yes, even more lucrative than poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rewarding and fulfilling yes, lucrative...no. Few posters, few people anywhere have the potential to make 500k to a mil a year.