Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 04:20 AM

Default Re: jamming quads.

[ QUOTE ]
the fact so many of you would only call in his spot with Aces full is testament to how effective this line is with hands other than quads.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement is a bit silly, as when you bluff in this spot it's not only aces full that will call you, but also trips or tens full.

The fact that he cannot have a T, but will be worried about you having one, defines your move. You deceived him by playing it in a way no 2+2'er would do (as you see from the responses to your OP): you made it look like you wanted a fold, inducing him to call with a hand that couldnt even beat an Ace. Nice play, but I cannot estimate how effective it is in general - all the circumstances (the board, opponent, table image) are quite specific and gave you this opportunity. If he was weaker he would possibly have folded even AK.

Also: were you going to push any turn? What if the turn bricked, or was a spade?

Marnix
Old 07-19-2005, 04:34 AM

when i called on the flop i decided i was going to get it in there on any non-spade, non-K/Q/J turn. was hoping for either the brick, or another A (which would either fill him up or make him not believe i was full with an A).

if the turn was ugly i was not sure whether i would have made the weakest of leads, or checked to see if he would do something silly. or if he had a huge hand or hit one on the turn, in which case the money would go in anyhow.
Old 07-19-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i spoke with him at length afterwards and he said he was so sure that i was trying to knock him off his hand with either a strong draw, or a small pair that was worthless.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never played with you, but I'm gonna say this is pretty bad hand-reading by your opponent. How often will a good player call another 210 on that flop out of position w/ only 950 behind with a draw or a SMALL PAIR? Big draw, yes it's possible, but not a given. Small pair, almost never. You're gonna call that money just so that you can bluff-lead the turn and MAYBE get him to lay down?

Your hand is substantially more likely to be a T than a bluff.

And as for your point that this play is so effective with a draw because so many people on the board will lay down there...the reason everyone is saying they would fold is because it's SO UNLIKELY that you will have a draw in that spot.

If you can consistently put yourself in a spot where you can bluff that turn with good fold equity, then by all means, go right ahead. The point is that it is very hard for you to be bluffing because of the action, so the play is not balanced.

The Bear
Old 07-19-2005, 12:08 PM

Check-call the turn, push the river.

Don't like the turn push. I think you got lucky this time.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5-5 NL, 8-handed.

game is being played very loose and fairly aggressive. i am playing every other hand from every position because only two of the other players are even remotely solid post-flop.

hand is live-straddled to $10.
dealt 10-10 and open-limp in 2nd position with ~$1300 behind.

another limper comes along and then cutoff raises to $50. blinds and straddler fold. i call. other limper folds.

surprisingly going to the flop heads up. villian has me barely covered and is one of the solid winning players. i am not happy to be playing a pot with him out of position, and i am sure he is not happy to be heads up with me, as the table was pretty much donkeys.

but i am happy when the flop comes A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]-10 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. (pot: $130)

i lead for $90. he raises to $300. i call.

turn: 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (pot: $730)

i lead all-in for ~ $950.

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont think id do that i want a call. i might check or bet a small amount in hopes of getting raised. Going all in is to fast but again its very player dependent. If he thinks your bluffing than maybe its correct.