Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2005, 12:33 AM

Default Re: Which state has the worst mosquitoes?

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Alaska, Minnesota or Florida, but, from what I've heard (elsewhere, not here), these are in contention for the worst.
Not that I'm nominating it as the worst, but I think certain parts of Hawaii have to be in contention. for one thing, they are an introduced species in hawaii, so the only natural predators they have there are us slapping away at them. No bats, birds or trout trying to eat them. For another thing, it never gets too cold for them, so they're there 24/7/365. i think I read where mosquitos are physically incapable of flapping their wings in temperatures below 60F or something like that. it gets below that, statewide, maybe three times a year every 5 years or so.

on the plus side, there are no black flies, rattlesnakes, poison oak/ivy or grizzly bears around to mess with you, either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd have to put a place that spends time under snow down low. That's what makes me think Hawaii has got to be at or near the top, since it has mosquitos 365/yr. It's also very lush and in many places rains almost every day, giving the skeeters endless places to breed -- standing water all over the place.

I suppose a place like Louisiana might be much the same -- hot, lots of standing water, lots of rainfall, snow is uncommon.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:45 AM

minnesota - 10,000 lakes, 10 trillion mosquitos.
Old 08-26-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I live in Massachusetts too, but I don't think they're too bad. I think New Hampshire is much worse, but then I'm sure other states I haven't been to are worse yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I don't what these guys are talking about with Mass. Keep heading North - MAINE is absolutely brutal in the summer.

I've also been to Alaska in the summer - my experience in Maine was FAR worse.

Maine also has an insane black fly problem for only about two weeks in June - they hunt in swarms and draw blood.

Bugs aside, both Maine and Alaska are in my top 5 states (and I've been in all 50).

-ptmusic
Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 AM

Louisiana AINEC