Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2004, 01:13 AM

Default Re: Kick Ass No-Limit Holdem

Heh, of course. I think we can pretty much 100% guarantee - without knowing anything - that underbetting has been around since the moment poker was invented.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:48 AM

I removed my book from Download Press in order to revise it so as to give Ray Zee credit for describing this strategy first.

I have to add my two cents here. I'm not a no limit expert, and don't pretend to be. I respect the effort involved in learning to play no limit and respect your achievement in writing about it. Having said that...

I read Zee's underbetting thread when it was posted, and read your exerpts on the same subject. I find nothing to quarrel with in either of your writings. But in my opinion, underbetting in no-limit ring-game hold 'em is one of the most difficult-to-learn and dangerous things to do. If you always know when you're beat, you can do it with impunity; but if you don't it will get you broke. Like the kid who takes an hour-long karate lesson and thinks he's bad, the two essays have just information enough to get someone killed. It's fine to credit Ray, but I think you need to give a lot more exposition of the pitfalls involved, and perhaps several pages of sample hands to serve as examples. And you might want to add some counter plays to underbettors. Also, I think a major benefit (maybe THE major benefit) of underbetting is its use to manipulate position, especially in multi-way pots, and I don't see that mentioned.

Just my two cents...

PS: I think the master no-limit underbettor was Slim. I thought he was nuts until I finally understood what he was doing.
Old 02-06-2004, 02:46 AM

Hi Kaizen:

I think your apology should be stronger.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-06-2004, 03:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a no limit expert, and don't pretend to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little skeptical and also wary. Don't be eyeing my stack when you say that. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

-Zeno