Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 AM

Default Re: NFL running backs

The thing that seems different to me is the number of teams with two quality running backs. Guys like Chris Perry, Chester Taylor, Ricky Williams, Michael Turner, Travis Henry, and Larry Johnson are all starting caliber NFL running backs second on the depth chart. On top of that, you've got the Denver, Carolina, and Pittsburgh situations.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Being able to run 5 yards on first and ten is much harder than running 1 yard at the goal line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so very wrong here. I want you to take a close look at the NFL games the rest of this season, and let me know what you come up with.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Running for 1-yard TDs is overrated in the same way as closing games in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should not suprise you that I am a huge fan of a dominant closer.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Being able to run 5 yards on first and ten is much harder than running 1 yard at the goal line.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so very wrong here. I want you to take a close look at the NFL games the rest of this season, and let me know what you come up with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what, you want me to count how many times it's done? There are problems with that, I assure you.

From the 1 yard line, teams score a ridiculously high percentage of the time. Getting there is the hard part.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:20 AM

I wouldn't say most people say Emmitt Smith was overrated, but I doubt most people put the all-time leading TD scorer among RB's and rusher top 5 ever, and maybe not even top 10, but he WAS great. The year he held out, the Cowboys were 0-2 without him and looked bad. When he came back, they were 12-2 with him, and went on to win the SB again.
[ QUOTE ]

Walter Jones, the Seahawks LT, is the Peyton Manning of OLs. He is very likely the best player in all of football.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny. I would consider the fact that you compared him to Manning, and Manning is at a skill position, that MANNING might be considered the best player in football,(which I do, sorry, LT). Does anyone not sitting in your chair share your sentiment that he is " very likely the best player in all of football"?

If Hutchinson is the 2nd best then, why has he never started the pro bowl?

As far as Mo Morris, he has 30 carries for 171 yards, big deal. Take away one 49 yard run in that game vs the texans and he's at 4.0. He DOES average 5.3 for his career, but he looks to be a 3rd down back only, which, if is the case, is rife with opportunities to gain 5-9 yards on 3rd and long. I don't know anything about him other than these stats, but if he IS a 3rd down back only, you should know that YPC is going to be inflated. Kinda like saying Michael Vick would make a great RB cuz he averages 7.0 YPC career.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Running for 1-yard TDs is overrated in the same way as closing games in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

It should not suprise you that I am a huge fan of a dominant closer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually almost asked you if you were, but then I just decided to post my ultimate point. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, what, you want me to count how many times it's done? There are problems with that, I assure you.

From the 1 yard line, teams score a ridiculously high percentage of the time. Getting there is the hard part.

[/ QUOTE ]

No counting. Watch. Tell me where the tough yards on the ground are.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, it's far less important. Being able to run 5 yards on first and ten is much harder than running 1 yard at the goal line.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, according to Hidden Game of Football, the last yard is equivalent(in terms of the percentage change in your probability of winning the game) to about 10 yards in the middle of the field.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The thing that seems different to me is the number of teams with two quality running backs. Guys like Chris Perry, Chester Taylor, Ricky Williams, Michael Turner, Travis Henry, and Larry Johnson are all starting caliber NFL running backs second on the depth chart. On top of that, you've got the Denver, Carolina, and Pittsburgh situations.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. If tons of teams have two starting caliber running backs, how important can any one runningback possibly be?

Priest Holmes was one of the best in the league, but the chiefs dont seem to miss him much right now. So just how valuable was he in the first place?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly my point. If tons of teams have two starting caliber running backs, how important can any one runningback possibly be?

Priest Holmes was one of the best in the league, but the chiefs dont seem to miss him much right now. So just how valuable was he in the first place?

[/ QUOTE ]

The chiefs miss him alot. Were he healthy the whole season, they are likely 1-2 games better off, even though he is getting old, but also, LJ happens to be a great back.