Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2005, 05:52 PM

Default Re: How many bets with the nuts?

that's what I was thinking.

Is it really going to take as long as Kurosh estimates even if he were going to go all the way down to the felt?

If the guy is semi-retarded then i think there is a strong enough chance that he has KK here and thinks THAT is the nuts.
There's even a chance he has a smaller full-house (A9 or 99...was there a 9 on the board?? don't feel like going back to see).

Thinking about it further...I might consider just calling after the 25th or 30th bet or so.
But if the guy truly is semi-retarded as Kurosh says then I would be kicking myself when he turns over that KK.

Does anyone want to guess how long it would take to re-raise 1 bet at a time all the way down to the felt here?
Old 11-27-2005, 06:02 PM

I know I am getting to this thread late, but you can just ask the guy "Want to put it all in?" and he can agree. I've seen it happen at least twice in LIMIT games.

It happened to me recently in a live triple draw game. I made a wheel after the second draw and I had about 15 big bets in front of me. We raised about 4 times, then I asked my opponent if he just wanted to put it all in. He agreed. We both had wheels (number one). He said "a month ago I would have done that with number two."
Old 11-27-2005, 10:33 PM

If this is a home game of friends, I would go maybe 10 bets, then call, 75% sure that I'm chopping, 25% sympathetic and not wanting to ruin a friend's night.

At a home game or live game of strangers, I would check my cards around the 6th bet, then keep saying "raise", neatly stacking my bets. Too many idiots and drunks who play poker live for you to assume anything. And there is no sympathy for "retards". If they are at the table, they want my money. I want theirs.

I would not be the first one to ask about putting in all our money in. It screams "unbeatable", as if going 10 bets didn't. But in an idiot's head, it'll trigger a "He has the ultimate nuts" thought. You are more likely to get 100 bets one by one than the whole thing all at once.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:16 PM

How is this even a question?

All of it. Every time. Without a doubt.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:01 PM

I once stopped at about 6 bets. I expected to see a chop. I didn't even see the 3rd or 4th nut. Just some goofball, and I wanted to get to the next hand. I'll never stop again. Once in a while, you'll get a whole bunch of money from some drunk dude who justs wants to bet. These freeroll situations can only pay off, so take them.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I once stopped at about 6 bets. I expected to see a chop. I didn't even see the 3rd or 4th nut. Just some goofball, and I wanted to get to the next hand. I'll never stop again. Once in a while, you'll get a whole bunch of money from some drunk dude who justs wants to bet. These freeroll situations can only pay off, so take them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Canterbury Park 6/12, about 3:00 am today. Board reads KJQ4T, with no flush. Three players get to the 5-bet cap, and the way they played, two of them were going to the felt if possible, but were saved by the cap.

Hands: KJo, QQ and ATo.

Go to the felt.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:10 PM

3bet call a 4bet
Old 11-25-2005, 10:38 PM

well, we've already established I'll go 9 bets without the nuts, so I'm taking this fool's stack if he lets me.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 11:34 PM

A virtually identical hand happened at the Hustler 6/12 a couple weeks ago. The board was AAK95 or something, and two guys went 9 bets on the river. During all this action, the floor was called over, and a couple people thought it would be a jackpot until they were told a jackpot holding was impossible (it is).

After the hand (which of course was chopped by two AKs), half the table criticized them for going so far when it was obvious they were chopping. I defended them, saying when you have the nuts it never makes sense to just call. Guy A said he played with Guy B before and knew him to be reasonable, so that's why he ultimately just called the 9th bet. Guy B said he had an unbeatable hand and said 'you never know.' I like Guy B.
Old 11-26-2005, 11:37 AM

Once I stopped after 10-15 bets or so when I had JK on a board that was 9TQxx.

Of course, my opponent had 8J.

That's the last time I made that mistake.