Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2005, 04:28 PM

Default Too busy ...

... sitting on your ass playing poker eh?

A stint in the army would get any poker player fit.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-17-2005, 04:32 PM

Default In defense of 6M

You did this, M. You did it intentionally.

Not intentionally. But he was duped and refused to think clearly following the emotional events of 9/11.

Now he is just too stubborn to admit that going into Iraq was ill-advised. He does know better - I am sure of it.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: What Can A Poor Boy Do

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
putting up posters on walls,

[/ QUOTE ]
There's a country's soul that reads "post no bills".

Seattle isn't the only city that has a history of such laws, but my memory is failing me. I seem to recall a repealed federal law prohibiting political posters, but I'm not positive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made over $100,000 in 5 years putting up posters in Seattle, part time, like 20 hours a month. The law you cite covers city owned or public places. It does not prohibit the placement of advertising on abandoned buildings or unpainted plywood. The cops never gave us a hassle over what we were doing, but we never put posters up on public property. I have no problem with this law. If the propery owner put up a "post no bills" sign, we moved onto the next site. I would tell propery owners how to stop people from posting on their property if they were lucky enough to catch me.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: An Example for You Chickenhawks

1. I'm not a Republican

2. You are a lunatic
Old 05-17-2005, 05:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I've said it before and I'll say it again, M :

Military service isn't just another "profession" -- like firefighting, garbage collection, or computer programming -- nor is it just another "cause" where you can toss a dime into a coffee can or put a sticker on your car and that's that. It is a committment of one's life to the service of one's country under a bond of trust. And unlike any other "profession", the men and women of the military can't quit their "jobs", either.

You and your peers have broken that bond of trust when it comes to Iraq. You lied the nation into a WAR.

You lied and agitated and smeared and misled and then lied some more until you finally got your way, dragging this nation by the hair into a war that has killed tens of thousands of Iraqis and over one thousand five hundred American soldiers.

You did this, M. You did it intentionally.

In fact, you are still here trying to beat down dissent against what you have done, tapping away at your keyboard and trying to come up with new and improved dodges to prevent people from holding you and your Republican peers accountable for what you have done.

To borrow your "firefighter" analogy : you are the equivalent of an arsonist.

And if it bothers you to have that inconvenient fact pointed out again and again ... well, too damned bad. Get used to it.

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simply put, there are not enough hours in my life-or in yours, twowords--to actively participate in every cause we support or believe in. Therefore it is good that there are professionals in every field to do some of the things we cannot do ourselves.

As for your assertion that I have disrespected our armed services, you have completely lost me there. Whyever would you think such a thing based on my post?

[/ QUOTE ]

Back in the 17th Century, wars were indeed fought by professionals. Consequently, war was fought on a relatively small scale. However, 20th (+21st) Century wars are fought on a huge scale; volenteers with regular other jobs comprise a lot of the armed forces during these wars. You really think the war in Iraq is being fought by "professionals" alone?

I say you disrespect our armed forces because you repeatedly compare them to normal employees when their "job" is anything but normal. And please make no mistake, the need for volenteers is very dire in Iraq.

If you or any other was supporters are hesistant to help our armed forces there, ask yourself why. If US sucess in Iraq is not important enough for you to help out, then why do you support a war which caused the death of tens of thousands? Is the war worth that loss of life but somehow not worth putting your life on hold and helping out?
Old 05-18-2005, 10:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling (those who support but do not enlist) "chickenhawks" has little or nothing to do with shortage.

[/ QUOTE ]Oh I see, so your strategy is to just take one word out of my argument, pretend it was my entire argument, and ignore the rest. Good going.

The Army missed its goal by 42% last month. More people joined the Michael Jackson Fan Club.

I'm still waiting for one of you to grow some balls.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:00 AM

I've posted at length, many months ago, about why I think the Iraq war may likely save lives (in aggregate) over the next decades, and that the Iraqi people deserve better than to live for many more decades under murderous tyranny. So you can't intelligently only look at the "lives lost due to war" side of the equation: you also have to look at the lives likely lost had Saddam remained in power. But here is not the place to argue or rehash all that.

There are many things I could be doing that would be of service to humans, to our country, and to myself. The Iraq war is not highest on my list of priorities. Why are you so myopic in your focus?

Why would you think that just because ONE THING may be useful, valuable, or of need, that there are other things not equally so? Or not more practically available?

Why don't YOU go put your life on hold and go help out with all the noble causes you can think of? I'm sure you can come up with a list a page or two long if you try. If you can't, I might be persuaded to write up a list for you. And if you don't tackle these things full-time, I'll bet I could find a few people willing to attack you for not so doing.

As I originally posted, you don't have the time to actively participate in every good cause you see (even every very good cause). Anyone with an IQ over 70 should be able to understand this concept.

Your statement that I somehow disrespect our armed services is a nonsensical cheap attack. If you can't think straighter than what you have thus far demonstrated, there will be no point in discussing things with you.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Oh I see, so your strategy is to just take one word out of my argument, pretend it was my entire argument, and ignore the rest. Good going.

[/ QUOTE ]

One point amongst several deserves to be attacked, if that point is fallacious or wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm still waiting for one of you to grow some balls.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I'm still waiting for you to join your local firefighter's union, or to go work full-time helping with the homeless problem in this country.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The Iraq war is not highest on my list of priorities. Why are you so myopic in your focus?

Why would you think that just because ONE THING may be useful, valuable, or of need, that there are other things not equally so? Or not more practically available?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the war in Iraq is not benefitting our country in the long run (terrorism+, allies- is the short version of this), and obviously obviously not the short run.

As for Iraq, the country is being torn apart and many civilians and volenteers dying in the short run. LR? Tough to say, the dictator is gone but an infant democracy in the middle east has a tough time ahead, stability is very uncertain, no telling how long it will be in strife.

Your theory that the War in Iraq is EV+ for the world may allow you to sidestep my earlier point, but this is not the case.

Plus, the US doesn't go to war to change regimes, or if we do then we have 30 invasions ahead of us. The only reason we're there is to clean up the mess we made, after attacking a country that posed no serious threat to us and sending it into chaos.

Looks like I digressed but one more thing, PLEASE stop comparing volunteering to go to war with volentering at a soup kitcher or emergency fire fighting squad. Think about that one some more.