Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 06:51 PM

Default Re: sam farha vs. (unknown) day1 wsop

This guy?

Old 10-13-2005, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
arnt reverse implied odds a bad thing??????

i dont mind sammys call neway because he had implied odds

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember the hand right, Farah did not have implied odds. The guy raised to 2K!!! Not 1K!!!. Calling the overpair's raise to 2K with 8K behind does not give the underpair the right implied odds.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:39 PM

the funny thing about this is that curtis who is one of those people on travel channel i think he was vulnerable with that raise because he was telling everybody he was playing for all his chips with aces. this is where professionals have an edge on players like that because they can fold a flop with aces.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:55 PM

Right...there is nothing wrong with Farha's call, it's 1/20 of his stack and he knows what he's up against. If he hits he will scoop the entire stack of an obvious donk who will overplay (as we saw preflop) and more importantly overvalue his AA postflop.

That's why pro's are good against these types of players then can outsmart their opponents on post flop play.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:09 PM

I believe that this is an example of why the pros call people like him dead money. I also however believe that the man did not realize how badly he overbet his Aces. He was probably just a nervous wreck being one of the less known players at the feature table, and got hit with good cards and had a mental breakdown. He obviously is inexpierenced due to the ridiculous overbet which signified to all the pro's that he did not know what to do with them if he missed the flop. I think it is a great call by Sammy because he is not in danger of being eliminated and is getting good odds on his money knowing that this guy didnt know what to do post flop. Sammy just gave the ameteur an oppurtunity to shoot himself in the foot, and sure enough he did.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:11 PM

If your playing a Party Tourny, and you have AA, raise 20BB, and a guy calls, then folds on a rag flop you would laugh to your self about what a donkey he is. This is what would have happened to Farha on most flops. Then this guy would have made 1K during the first (maybe it was second) level on his AA. Thats pretty solid.

This guy gave himself a chance to win a substantial pot early on. I don't think he played the hand that poorly.

Ken
Old 10-15-2005, 09:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your playing a Party Tourny, and you have AA, raise 20BB, and a guy calls, then folds on a rag flop you would laugh to your self about what a donkey he is. This is what would have happened to Farha on most flops. Then this guy would have made 1K during the first (maybe it was second) level on his AA. Thats pretty solid.

This guy gave himself a chance to win a substantial pot early on. I don't think he played the hand that poorly.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

With deep stacks there are two things you are NOT looking to do:

(1) telegraph your hand
(2) play a big pot with one pair.

He did both. TERRIBLE poker.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So is Sammy check/folding a 3Ax flop??? Or at least bet/folding???

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone that plays AA this poorly preflop is almost guaranteed to slowplay like a complete donkey as well. (read: check min-raises and other garbage slowplay tactics)

ps - there is no risk of him busting sammy, and he has enough hand reading ability to get away from bottom set if need be.

the only hand i think farha has to worry about is if he is a super-donk and doing this with 99-JJ and hits set-over-set.....i cant see him being able to lay it down here given his super-aggro tendency
Old 10-16-2005, 03:47 AM

That unkown is a dam legendary pro gambler in blackjack im sure hes read 20 poker books an is good
Old 10-16-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That unkown is a dam legendary pro gambler in blackjack im sure hes read 20 poker books an is good

[/ QUOTE ]

mario lemieux is a legendary pro hockey player, does this have any [censored] relevance whatsoever to his skill in big buyin no limit holdem tournaments?

just because you are good at something completely unrelated doesnt magically make you not [censored] terrible at playing aces preflop.