Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 04:42 PM

Default Re: Please help me with this QQ hand

Or you reraise to 4, he reraises to 10 and you go all-in with him showing down AJ because this is NL25 not NL400... I think you're overestimating these guys.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the consensus is that you DON'T get away from this hand. c/r all-in on the turn and hope for the best

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, what he said
Old 07-13-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or you reraise to 4, he reraises to 10 and you go all-in with him showing down AJ because this is NL25 not NL400... I think you're overestimating these guys.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK, it's possible. If you're really playing against someone that bad, such that against him QQ on a JT8 board or whatever is NOT a marginal holding, then fine. Re-raise and inflate the pot preflop because you're happy getting it all in. Against good players, this should not be the goal, however.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, it's possible. If you're really playing against someone that bad, such that against him QQ on a JT8 board or whatever is NOT a marginal holding, then fine. Re-raise and inflate the pot preflop because you're happy getting it all in. Against good players, this should not be the goal, however.

[/ QUOTE ]

Naturally against normal opposition you must alter your strategy, but I do not believe I am incorrect in asserting that NL25 players cannot be considered "decent" for the most part and that a strategy of jamming preflop with QQ is generally +EV.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:48 PM

I think I like the information given to me in situation #1, where I can make a fold when behind. In the circumstance player X is raising from the CO only with a rank 1 hand (which our villian is far far from), I can see a case of WA/WB and MIGHT flat call here.

Yes I'd probably call the 4-bet in scenario #1 and its a leak in my game (maybe from my 6-max tendencies) but if its folded to me in the CO-> blinds with QQ im going to assume its the best hand. Unless we're dealing with a TAG who only raises AQs+, JJ+, I think it should be standard to 3-bet.

Plus we give our opponents free cards up the ass with this passive line... are we always checking to our opp on the flop? So many negatives not to mention its pretty damn likely we're ahead.

Lastly, how are we losing less to AA/KK in line 2? Ch/fold to a river bet?
Old 07-13-2005, 04:54 PM

Against the players I've been playing with lately, that raise on the flop is almost never a hand like JJ. You've put in the second raise preflop so they think you have a big pair or AK; they will either fold their mid pair or they will call and see how you behave on the turn. The raise, especially the minraise, means they are sure they are ahead of you. This means they can beat a big pair.

However, you're not playing in the same games I'm playing in, so your opponents may behave differently.

If you think you are ahead, you MUST raise all-in on the turn. Not only have you let this guy take a look at the river card, you're also offering him a free showdown. This is absolutely unacceptable. Once you make the decision to commit all your chips to the pot, you need to make sure they actually make it in there. The way you've played this hand you will get all your money in when you lose, but not when you win.

Exceptions obviously occur against overaggro stupid bluffers, etc.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:13 PM

Maybe 22 or 6x should have called the flop and repopped on the turn, but this guy reraises the flop, fires the turn strong and fires the river showing absolutely no fear of the A. I think that it is great that he reraised the flop. If I am put into this situation, the minraise usually screams fish to me, and fish usually check raise their monster hands on the flop. they don't usually call and raise the turn. I think that I am getting away from this hand pretty easily on the turn after calling the minraise on the flop. I hear people say that minraises are weak, but I completely disagree. The vast majority of the time that I have been minraised the hand is very strong. Especially at lower level nl. Maybe I'm playing too conservatively by not getting my money in the pot in this situation, but a minraise from a fish makes it easy for me to get away from the hand.

Edit: I also don't understand why people are not putting this guy on a 6. As the original poster already said, he will raise with anything. So if he will raise with anything he is either extremely skilled postflop, or a fish and I'm leaning towards fish. Putting him on TT, or 99 or anything like that is giving him too much credit. If he has AA or KK he is betting even more strongly. I just don't undersatnd why everyone thinks that the money should be in on the flop or turn. If he is as fishy as he sounds (which is pretty fishy raising with J6) then there are better spots than this to stack him off.