Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2004, 02:04 PM

Default Re: Multi-tabling loosing streak

[ QUOTE ]
"It doesn't take long for a couple of bad habits (ie leaks) to steal any advantage you may have an turn you into a break even or losing player."

I'm not sure I agree with this. Of course, it depends on what the leaks are, but as long as the leak isn't pre-flop it can--and usually does-- take a long, long time for the leak to manifest itself. I've known players who have holes in their post-flop game that have been beating the game for years. They'll eventually come back to Earth, but it could take a while.

The reason most people on these boards suffer through these dramatic downswings is because they overplay their hands. Or at least that's my position. If you insist on three betting early position raisers with pocket 8's, or AJo, I think you can expect to take it in the shorts to the tune of 300-400 BB's every now and then. In the end, limit hold 'em is basically about showing your opponents' the best hand at the showdown. All the rest of it-- the tricky pre-flop manuevers, the semil bluff check raises on the turn, etc.-- ends up wildly increasing your variance while perhaps adding a marginal increase to your profits.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you said, it depends on what the leaks are. As a developing player (only playing 'seriously' for about a little over a year now), my game is far from perfect. When I play my best game, I can beat the limits I play fairly easily. However, when I start overplaying hands (a leak), loosening up preflop (huge leak), or playing weak tight after some bad beats, my perceived advantage over the average player is gone, and I am down to the whim of the cards, over even worse- being outplayed.

In the long run, all but the best and brightest don't have a huge advantage over the norm. Any leak that consistently costs me money erodes my expected rate. If I develop more bad habits, it gets even worse. Toss in a bad run of cards, and you have disaster.