Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Mucked Hands v Cards Speak v One Player To a Hand

[ QUOTE ]
I was the beneficiary of two players to a hand not long ago. Jim Rivett was sitting on my right and not involved in the hand. By the river I was head-up and my opponent bet and I called. He turned over two pair and I held my hand up and started nodding "that's good," when Jim pointed out to me that I had a straight. And it was an obvious situation: I think I had K-Q and the board was Q-T-x-9-T or somesuch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting old is tough [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
I've seen situations where two players tabled their cards and the dealer misread the board and would have awarded the pot to the wrong player.....I've also seen it where nobody said anything in such a situation because we all disliked the player who would/should have won the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a player in the the above case I have no problem with that sort of just result. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Regards,

Rick
Old 01-08-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Disagree Rick

I can understand and appreciate all efforts in maintaining the "spirit of the game." But two things here.

One is that poker isn't suppossed to be played like a team sport. You're responsible for your cards and your money. If you muck your hand on the basis of a verbal call without looking at his cards, you should lose a pot you should have won. It's not about the spirit of the game. It's about learning a lesson the hard way.

Second - in a poker room there has to be something definitive that decides when a mistake that's been made in a hand is just plain unfortunate and irrevocable. That something should be the muck. The only time your cards should be retrievable from the muck is when you table them face up and the dealer mistakenly mucks them. Because the dealer is in charge of the muck and his mistake shouldn't cost you a pot.

I don't think it's close.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: ARE YOU GUYS SERIOUS?

I agree w/ Bear.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Mucked Hands v Cards Speak v One Player To a Hand

Andy,

You need to finish the story and tell everyone what happened the very next hand.

btw provided the 5 doesn't become a river between now and next week are we on for lunch and cards?

Jim
Old 01-08-2005, 06:58 PM

I agree w/ Diablo.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:50 PM

I agree with Diablo.

Real classy - those who would berate and chew out a lady at a poker table over a small amount of grubby chips, when you had the worst hand (and played it poorly, I might add). If your that concerned about the money, get a damn job.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:01 PM

Default Re: I let it go.

Very commendable Josh.

What goes around, comes around. I have had that happen to me on a couple of occasions as well, but last month I was in a hand, turned trips, rivered brought the 3rd suit and I check-called the villain. Sure enough he has the flush.

Just as I am about to muck my hand, I mean 1 second before I do - another player asks to see my hand. I don't like it, but reluctantly and voluntarily turned my hand over.

Then the dealer starts pushing me the pot. I was like "what the f*ck?"

About 3 seconds later, I notice that the river card, though giving my opponent the flush gave me the full house. It was a 12 BB pot too, so not shabby.

Needless to say villain wasn't happy, but he didn't say much either.

Lawrence
Old 01-08-2005, 08:22 PM

Get with the program: you where supposed to agree with me, who agreed with Diablo, Who agreed with Bear.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:35 PM

I agree with Rigoletto.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:54 PM

Were you guys the writers for Meet the Fockers?

We get it already.