Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:29 PM

Default Re: Crosspost - \"Cookie Cutter disease\"

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
When I stop making six figures a month, I'll jump over to NL.

[/ QUOTE ]

When is this ever the right thing to say?

[/ QUOTE ]
it's also very much like saying, "when i stop making $X/hr playing 'cookie cutter' poker, then i'll change that approach."
Old 11-02-2005, 07:32 PM

Default Re: Crosspost - \"Cookie Cutter disease\" *DELETED*

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

zzzzzzz.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guys, stay tuned for next week's episode, where KKF goes over to the limit forum and tells them how to all play poker!

[/ QUOTE ]

This response was abrasive and unnecessary. Poker is poker. The syndrome J_V describes pertains to almost every player at almost every limit. A very talented player like J_V comes in and offers this post as a potential wakeup call to people who have been sleepwalking through their last 100k hands who aren't satisfied with their winrates but who only blame bad luck. I'm sure this sounds familiar for many players on this forum and elsewhere. All he is saying is: instead of making the mindless, "patient" decision, maybe it's time for people to step out of their comfort zone from time to time. Stepping into NL made me realize how rote my decisions had become in limit. I started thinking a great deal about each decision in No Limit until I had rewired my circuits to play NL - the only difference is I am still trying to find new ways to scour out EV every day. Generally being an ass to him about this post and saying essentially "you have no business in the NL forum!" is childish and insecure of you. I would have expected better from most of the high quality posters in this forum.
-James
Old 11-02-2005, 07:55 PM

i agree with you about JV's post, but that comment he made that i highlighted made him look flat out lame and childish.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree with you about JV's post, but that comment he made that i highlighted made him look flat out lame and childish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never got that far. I just saw Yeti's post and the ones preceeding it and thought they were gay. They reminded me of the same sorts of posts that people made when I first started posting in this forum. I just don't get the hostility and the reasons people are averse to simply discussing this with him.
-James
Old 11-02-2005, 08:12 PM

Heh, chill out. I apologise for my light-hearted post. To be fair, JV hadn't yet made himself look like a complete tit at that point.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heh, chill out. I apologise for my light-hearted post. To be fair, JV hadn't yet made himself look like a complete tit at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm chill - but I can understand why J_V got frustrated. He makes a pretty serious and helpful post and the entire forum dismisses it out of hand. I just think that the general attitude of this forum is not as forward thinking as it could be and this thread is a good example of that. No big deal from my perspective as I don't really use this forum as that much of a learning tool - but I just think that the most respected people in this forum have set a bad example for those who could be learning and improving. I am sure a lot of people who are working their way up the limits read this post and were inspired by it only to see you, flawless, azk, and others simply mock it. There was a time when you were developing your approach and needed to use a great deal of critical thinking to improve - that is what J_V is talking about here. Many people are satisfied with their game and their earn - many are not. J_V offers a little inspiration to reach a higher level of satisfaction.
-James
Old 11-02-2005, 08:37 PM

I agree. However, I've found that my limit holdem results and my NL tourney results have suffered a great deal because I'm am making cheap decisions and not working hard enough at the table.

The idea is to keep the overall mentality of really thinking and not necessarilty bailing out on so many decisions.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:44 PM

My post was deleted for a reason. Secondly, your post was not light-hearted. You essentially questioned my credentials to be posting in a mid/stakes NL forum. Now, while I didn't intend to post here in the first place, I feel that I should be allowed to make a post that could help other players learn from my mistakes eventhough I'm definitely not a NL expert.

I don't see what is so offensive about the original post, other than it has undertones of change for some nut-peddlers. I think the examples are pretty good as they span 3 different games.

It's just lame when I make a post to give back and people either flame or insinuate I'm not qualified. So, I got made and made a stupid post that was deleted a minute later.