Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Alter your play for donks - early game?

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the Harrington on Hold'em books are great advice for post-flop play. Raising with suited connectors from EP is a bad idea, IMHO.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOH has great advice, especially if you like to play tight. But raising with SC in EP is the correct thing to do - this is a technique of loose players like Erik Lindgren, who specifically recommends the raising EP with SC. But you have to know how to play postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that Lindgren, for the most part, is not playing in games full of donks. The OP asked for advice about playing against donk calling stations.

Your advice is plenty applicable for playing against solid opponents where deceptive tactics are required. It's just not good advice for low buy-in SnG's full of donks.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: Alter your play for donks - early game?

I played a $50 non-turbo the other day and the difference was immediately obvious after a few hands. Very TAG, lots of folding, few family pots. I felt like "ok, this is the table all the books are about." It was a pleasure not watching so much abject stupidity flying around in front of me. And I got some pretty good cards and won. But right now I feel like at absolute best I'm a break-even player on those tables, probably less. I figure I need to prove myself and define my game on the $25s. One nice thing about playing over your head every now and then, you come back down to your level feeling pretty confident.