Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Jackson back in charge of the Lakers

[ QUOTE ]
it is a weird world where a coach with 8(or is it 9?) rings, is given less credit then coaches that have never won a championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scottie Pippen has 6 rings. Karl Malone has 0.

Who was a better player?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:04 PM

I'm always baffled when when people say other coaches could have done the same as Phil, when a pretty decent number got the chance with similar lineups, and didn't even come close.

And Doug Collins winning a championship is a joke. He may have a good head for bball, but he can't motivate to that level. They need to get him off the air and give him an assistan coaching job or back office one where he would be a great help to just about any team.
Old 06-16-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm always baffled when when people say other coaches could have done the same as Phil, when a pretty decent number got the chance with similar lineups, and didn't even come close.

And Doug Collins winning a championship is a joke. He may have a good head for bball, but he can't motivate to that level. They need to get him off the air and give him an assistan coaching job or back office one where he would be a great help to just about any team.

[/ QUOTE ]

Decent coaches with similar lineups?

Name one.

By similar, by the way, I mean having the widely regarded best player of all time and a hall-of-famer by his side, in the era when there were more than 16 teams in the league. closest is Utah, and Gee, why did THEY never win a title..?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If he wasn't such a sanctimonius jerk, he'd have stayed in Chicago, as would have MJ and Pippen, and likely won a couple more .

[/ QUOTE ]

This to me shows just how out of touch you are with the entire situation. The dismantling had nothing at all to do with him. Zilch. They all had to beg Krause to keep the team together even for the last run, hence the "Last Dance" them all that year. They knew that management and ownership wasn't going to keep the team together. Suggesting that Phil had something to do with it shows a total lack of touch with reality.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With PJ as coach of this past year's Lakers, they win no more games.

[/ QUOTE ]

So since they are likely to have a similar (nearly identical) team, one would think that if/when they make the playoffs you'll be back here to admit you were wrong?

[ QUOTE ]
He's a front-runner, plain and simple.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you didn't notice the job he did with the bulls the two years MJ was gone?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I had always said I'd love to see how PJ would do with an average group of guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

We did, you weren't paying attention. As I noted in the "Phil Jackson" thread, the 93-94 team was predicted to go 42-40 by averaging the picks of the 4 tribune beat writers. They went 55-27 and were a bad call from almost certainly playing the Rockets for the NBA title.

Let me say that again real slowly. They lost Michael Jordan, the consensus best player in history, and the team only lost TWO fewer games than they did in the previous season. TWO.

So either Michael wasn't so good that "anyone" could win championships with him, or Phil had the greatest coaching season ever to only have a two game dropoff in MJ's absence.

Suggesting that Tim Floyd is a better coach than Phil is absurdity that shows your extreme bias and irrationality.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Sloan
George Karl
Rudy T
Del Harris
Doug Collins
Rick Adelman
Stan Van Gundy
Pat Riley
Brian Hill
Old 06-17-2005, 11:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it is a weird world where a coach with 8(or is it 9?) rings, is given less credit then coaches that have never won a championship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Scottie Pippen has 6 rings. Karl Malone has 0.

Who was a better player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Steve Kerr has 4, so he's better. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-18-2005, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Name one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jerry Sloan
George Karl
Rudy T
Del Harris
Doug Collins
Rick Adelman
Stan Van Gundy
Pat Riley