Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Which does the doctor mean?
A 21 21.00%
B 79 79.00%
Voters: 100. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-23-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: best film EVER...

Old 10-23-2005, 03:41 PM

Oh God, I just threw up. How anyone could say that is beyong this film student.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 PM

Once Upon a time in the West is a great operatic spaghetti Western. More entertaining the "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" which does not have a Good character really.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
though very, very long film?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its really hard to give a film "great" status when it would be much better if the last half hour was literally chopped off the end of the film

[/ QUOTE ]

I always really disagreed with this in regards to the LOTR movies. The ending did drag on quite a bit, but I felt like that did much more good than bad. With a story that great and long, it's easy for a fan to really get attached to the story and characters. It warrants a long send off, as fans just don't want to let go. I didn't really get that attached to LOTR, but there's nothing worse than a really long and great video game or series of books that ends abruptly and gives you no insight into the "ever after." Of course you have to stop at some point, and they may have crossed the acceptable point ROTK's ending, but with a timeless story like LOTR that will never have a sequel (or an equal probably), I think it's best for the ending to err on the side lengthiness.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see Cool Hand Luke up there.

[/ QUOTE ]
this isn't a favorite movies list....

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool Hand Luke is far and above many movies on your list, I was merely making a suggestion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Someone please explain why Cool Hand Luke is even considered decent. I watched it after reading reviews from another thread but was highly disappointed. There was almost no plot, no development, the escape scenes were boring and on top of that he got caught 3x! It was sad to see Luke become everyone's bitch after he admitted he was nothing in the real world. And who cares if he can eat 50 eggs...

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it's a bad movie.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There was almost no plot, no development... It was sad to see Luke become everyone's bitch after he admitted he was nothing in the real world.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think him discovering that he nothing in the real world and becoming everyone's bitch was the plot and development. I thought this was interesting and well done. It's meant to be a character study, not an edge-of-your-seat thriller, and I don't see anything wrong with that.

The "supposed to be great" movie that completely baffles me is Midnight Cowboy. I hated this movie. Can anyone here defend it?
Old 10-23-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Once Upon a time in the West is a great operatic spaghetti Western. More entertaining the "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly" which does not have a Good character really.

[/ QUOTE ]

Disagreeing entirely. The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly was nothing if not operatic. And it was far more entertaining than the other. And if you think any of the characters is really supposed to really be good, bad, or ugly, you're missing the point.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:52 PM

"La Grande Illusion" is absolutely great, but I would have to mention Renoir's "Rules of the Game" in the same list. "Battleship Potemkin" too. De Sica is too often ignored: not only for the "Bicycle Thief" but my favourite "Shoeshine".

Bresson's "Diary of a Country Priest" is my personal favourite. And "Mouchette" is probably the saddest movie ever made.

Wow, it is really hard to make a list. Good effort. Final vote goes to Citizen Kane because it embodies the essence of so many great films.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:53 PM

Couldn't possibly be more wrong. I'm amazed anyone could even have written the post you responded to, much less agreed with it.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:56 PM

The fact that the characters were so unlikable is what I did not like about the GB and U. I wanted them to all die in the end.

And while both have great scores, the whistling in OUTW and what it represents is great. The realization of Charles Bronson's motives was the greatest thing Leone ever did. It was really devastating.