Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2004, 11:42 AM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Do you ever wish you were innocent??

consider how offended and/or "they" would be if they were made aware of your thoughts. do you think smart poor people have these thoughts? they don't, they have bigger fish to fry. do you think non-poor motivated people have these thoughts? ditto for them.

the only people that seem to shoot up high schools, cut their arms with razors, lament about these sorts of things seem to be people who are without legitimate problems and are too lazy to meet whatever it is in their life that would make them break even in terms of realization of potential.

i think using "intelligence" as the reason is a cop-out. i think it's just a combination of being unburdened, lazy, and unable to see it because of ego. i'm not trying to be insulting or condescending or anything here, just direct. it's something very specific that i used to do and now i know i'm just being lazy. i think most people are in the same boat, but there could of course be exceptions.

and for whatever observations you have joker122 it doesn't make me any more or less correct here.
Old 07-07-2004, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i thought it was clear that i meant it sucks to go through life believing that nothing really matters. don't you agree?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well yes it does but thats what we've got, and I guess theres nothing to compare it against.

Regards ML
Old 07-07-2004, 12:25 PM

Homer:

[ QUOTE ]
See, this is why I think being religious means nothing. You say you "believe in god", yet tell someone that it "sucks to be you" in practically the same breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Religious people do not have a corner on hypocrisy -- it is a problem with man in general. Religious people are no more or less hypocritical than athiests... or agnostics.... or whatever. Of course, they do make easy targets.

--Rico
Old 07-07-2004, 12:41 PM

I think everyone is smart. Everyone spends lifetime learning information. On this forum you are defined by your poker skill, on the jeopardy forum you are defined by your knowledge, on a fashion forum you are defined by your sense of fashion. People of each clique have total disregard for the other clique. Poker people dismiss jeopardy people as encyclopedias for useless knowledge and fashion people for just being useless. Jeopardy people dismiss poker players for being degenerate gamblers. Fashion people dismiss poker players for being geeky. Society dismisses people who are not of right education or profession. I think everyone is intelligent in their own areas.

Some people choose to think about the supposed logical conclusions of the end of the world, life. (Personally, I don’t know how people can think of a logical end if we don’t know the logical beginning…what happened before the big bang, what happened before that?). Some people choose to think about logical conclusions of wearing a hat to a party. Both are the same thing. One guy might not know that slot machines don’t get ‘hot’. However that guy does know all the NASCAR drivers, and will dismiss anyone who doesn’t as unintelligent. Everyone is intelligent in the areas they spend most of their time in… how people perceive that…it doesn’t matter.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Homer:

[ QUOTE ]
See, this is why I think being religious means nothing. You say you "believe in god", yet tell someone that it "sucks to be you" in practically the same breath.

[/ QUOTE ]

Religious people do not have a corner on hypocrisy -- it is a problem with man in general. Religious people are no more or less hypocritical than athiests... or agnostics.... or whatever. Of course, they do make easy targets.

--Rico

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I was not putting down people for being religious. After all, to each his own. What I meant is that society considers "being religious" to be a positive quality, whereas I believe that it doesn't mean anything, good or bad. As you said, both religious and non-religious people can be hypocritical.

-- Homer
Old 07-07-2004, 02:00 PM

Well stated.
Thank you.
Al
Old 07-07-2004, 03:57 PM

Orange: what a cool post! I haven't seen stuff like this since I dated a philosophy major in college and she introduced me to existentialism. Thank God the sex was good. Anyway, I vote for not missing it because when I want to play craps or other exciting games, I can do so with wreckless abandon, make good bets and have a great time. Also, several drinks seems to induce enough loss of common sense to replicate childhood. "Seven a winner...pay the line!" "3 and 3 Just for me!" Bet the hard six; go super negative EV or go home.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:10 PM

So what? You can still drink beer and play craps for fun. Just play pass line bets taking free odds and whoop it up with the rest of the tabke knowing the house edge on your play is only 6/10 of a percent.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:31 PM

Default Everyone is Smart?

Stating that everyone is smart is both a huge generalization and quite a reach.

I know that, first hand, I am far from smart. Especially when it comes to things that I spend a majority of my time on. With each day I feel dumber and dumber. It is actually quite liberating.

I also find it liberating that everything is ultimately meaningless. It takes away the pressure. Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2004, 05:37 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
And I mean't that level of intelligence has about zero correlation to happiness.

If you've taken to blaming your depression on intelligence you really need to give your head a shake, or a shrink...

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, i think you really misunderstood my posts.