Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: Negreanu openly mocks Sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I see what your saying, but if you look at Daniel's original thread, he just says Stud hi/lo, not anything else. Which to a reasonable person would mean, no qualifier. To say.."oh yeah, there's a qualifier" after the fact is a little slippery

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh come on when is the last time youve seen ANY hilo game with no qualifier??

[/ QUOTE ]

I play it all the time in a home game. That's how it used to be. Much different game. I play with some seasoned old bucks, and it's very tough if the other players know what they are doing. Stud-8 is less complex, IMO. Read David's chapter in SS1.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:32 PM

Default Re: Negreanu Challenges Sklansky

[ QUOTE ]
5. I am willing to play the follwing headup game with Daniel if it is not used to publicize a non MGM hotel. Stud 8/B. $200 ante, $300 bring in. $500-$1000, $40,000 freezeout. He lays me 50,000 to 40,000. I have no reason to think he would take this deal but it is definite on my part. If he wants to double the stakes I expect I can sell half of myself. I offer this proposition only to set in stone a game that I would absolutely play. That doesn't mean I wouldn't entertain other propositions.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is retarded, especially the part where you ask for 5:4 odds after naming the game and structure.

Hell, David, I'll play you heads up except we arm-wrestle for who gets the wild card each hand, and you lay me 100:1 odds.

Just admit that he is a better HU player than you are, and leave it at that.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: Negreanu openly mocks Sklansky

when sklansky wrote the hi/lo for super system, of course he's gonna pick the game he wrote the book for
Old 05-05-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is retarded, especially the part where you ask for 5:4 odds after naming the game and structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a huge fan of both David's and Daniel's, I'm not sure where you think that his proposal is "retarded"...

Daniel made a blanket offer - very cool.

David saw it and counter-offered something - likewise, cool.

Daniel can now accept it or reject it. It certainly isn't a preposterous offer nor out of the realm of possibility that Daniel will find it acceptable.

We're talking about tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of dollars - one offer and one counter to that offer is FAR from out of line. I can't fault either side for taking or not taking the other's offers.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com
Old 05-05-2005, 02:34 PM

FWIW in Febuary I played in 100-200 and 150-300 mixed games at the Commerce that contained stud hi low no qualifier (as one of 8 or 9 games)

At the same time, when Negreneau wrote Stud hi low I believed he was talking about stud8
Old 05-05-2005, 02:46 PM

as usual, BVT has nailed it. This is negotiation, plain and simple.
Some of you seem to imply that making a counter offer makes Sklansky somehow less of a player. I suppose you guys also pay sticker price for cars and initial asking price for houses, right?
Old 05-05-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Midnight Baseball. Just imagine the publicity 2 of the greats playing this game over a large sum would get. How could anyone not cover that? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, I'm willing to put $1000 extra in the prize pool to see this [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 04:45 PM

First of all I think DS is a great player. I think he could beat Daniel in more than one of those games, how many I'm not sure. BUT, what about the competition? The fact that DS will not take DN up on any game unless he gets odds on it says alot. DS is probably the the greatest poker mind of all time, that being said, if all of those theories are true and he is the master of those theories, wouldn't he have the advantage in most (all?) limit structured games?? It just comes off as if DS only wants to race if he gets a head start, even if he's faster than someone. I believe overall DS is equally as good as DN..At least as good...Either play hime straight or stop discussing it...just my humble opinion
[img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I believe overall DS is equally as good as DN..At least as good

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that even David would agree with this statement.

I think that David's point is, is that the gap between he and Daniel is much more narrow then Daniel thinks.
Old 05-05-2005, 05:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As a huge fan of both David's and Daniel's, I'm not sure where you think that his proposal is "retarded"...

Daniel made a blanket offer - very cool.

David saw it and counter-offered something - likewise, cool.

Daniel can now accept it or reject it. It certainly isn't a preposterous offer nor out of the realm of possibility that Daniel will find it acceptable.

We're talking about tens of thousands (perhaps hundreds of thousands) of dollars - one offer and one counter to that offer is FAR from out of line. I can't fault either side for taking or not taking the other's offers.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Daniel for the most part and I definitely think he is a good player, but I just don't get why he has to say negative things about David and publicly call him out all the time. What is his motivation? He is wrong here for continually trying to embarass David. He could have made a few comments then left it alone. I also don't know how he can say that Gus Hansen's style is more mathmatically optimal than David's style. How does he know if he has never read any of David's books?

Would he like it if Barry Greenstein made a public challenge to him of this nature... "I'll play you in any game you want for any amount of money because you are all talk!?!"