Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 02:43 AM

Default Re: Ban the FDA

I believe that most promising drugs under trial have a way for patients who want them and are in very advanced state of disease to get them. I dont know the details If you do, would love to be enlightened.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:53 AM

Is impugning the credentials verboten on this forum? That should certainly be part of any debate.

Of course you did not answer the serious question about how the prescription drugs get regulated and what would happen if there was no FDA.

Regarding drug companies advertising on TV. I think it is wrong -- but if you want to discuss that perhaps another thread. My specific example relevant to the this thread is will the drug companies be able to advertise these drugs ("brighten your day, get XANAX" or "Politics forum a pain in your butt -- no problem here is a percocet") and in the absence of the FDA there will be no distinction between OTC and prescription drugs.

Kind of like if you trave thru asia and want to buy antibiotics, well you dont need a prescription. Just go to the chemist and ask for tetracycline and you got it.

Most of the tabloid journalists are used to offering up simplistic, fine sounding "solutions" to "problems". I suspect banning the FDA is one. But I really dont have a firm opinion, at this time.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:15 AM

Sarcastic. Bottom line, I have no problem with the free market, but in many industaries some are more free'er (sp brain freeze) than others and I think anything that involves health and safety should be tightly regulated. Maybe the FDA should be overhauled or replaced but to leave self regulation to drug companies (and yes there are very few) is madness.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:17 AM

You are wrong.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:43 AM

Wrong about what?
Old 07-20-2005, 09:11 AM

Wrong about it being a doddle to take companies to court when they have wronged you, especially companies of any reasonable size.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:57 AM

It's done all of the time. Succesfully.
Old 07-20-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Of course you did not answer the serious question about how the prescription drugs get regulated and what would happen if there was no FDA.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's explained in the article. Did you read it?

[ QUOTE ]

Kind of like if you trave thru asia and want to buy antibiotics, well you dont need a prescription. Just go to the chemist and ask for tetracycline and you got it.

[/ QUOTE ]

And their society hasn't crumbled from massive die-offs due to poisoned drugs sold by unscrupulous drug firms...

natedogg
Old 07-21-2005, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(as they have zero liability, just the FDA to get thru).

[/ QUOTE ]

Zero?
Old 07-23-2005, 12:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

And their society hasn't crumbled from massive die-offs due to poisoned drugs sold by unscrupulous drug firms...

natedogg

[/ QUOTE ]

Antibiotics are the one class of drugs I can think of that I would really want to be regulated. Still, I wouldn't regulate them just for the sake of regulation. If enough people end up buying it on the black market, then I wouldn't waste the time and money.