Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 05:19 PM

Default Re: Sheffield = Clown

Even when he was struggling Giambi's OBP was high, he never lost his eye and still got his walks. That's to his credit. But Giambi has not been the Yanks best hitter this year.He has been their best hitter for the last month. Any manager or pitcher in his right mind would rather face Giambi instead of Sheffield, Matsui, or A-Rod.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:26 PM

someone needs to say something to get some fire in their belly, maybe he might wake up a sleeping giant. its been done before.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:27 PM

Any manager or pitcher in his right mind would rather face Giambi instead of Sheffield, Matsui, or A-Rod.

right now? no.

april/may? yes. all of last season? yes. which again leads back to the origin of this latest debate. he went from being kevin millar of 05 to barry bonds of 03 in a month at the age of 34, WITH a history of steriod usage. i mean cmon.....
Old 08-05-2005, 05:36 PM

Listen, I'm a Yankee fan and I'm glad Giambi looks like he is back. But he's been on fire for a month. For the season he has not been the Yanks best hitter. Sheffield is hitting something like .390 with RISP. Matsui is one of the best money hitters in baseball. And yes RBI's do mean something. Gary Sheffield is a run producer, has been his entire career. Giambi used to be up until 2003 and it looks like he is back. Crunch all the numbers you want. Joe Torre wants Sheffield or Matsui up in a key spot instead of Giambi, and that includes right now.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Crunch all the numbers you want. Joe Torre wants Sheffield or Matsui up in a key spot instead of Giambi, and that includes right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Sheffroid and Matsui (A-Rod too) have been productive all season, Giambi has not. In order for Torre to trust Giambi, I think Giambi has to do this for another few weeks or so. If he continues to do this, I think Giambi gets put higher up in the batting order. But if Giambi is really back, it will be hard to stop the Yankee line up if they make the playoffs.
Old 08-05-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Crunch all the numbers you want. Joe Torre wants Sheffield or Matsui up in a key spot instead of Giambi, and that includes right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Sheffroid and Matsui (A-Rod too) have been productive all season, Giambi has not. In order for Torre to trust Giambi, I think Giambi has to do this for another few weeks or so. If he continues to do this, I think Giambi gets put higher up in the batting order. But if Giambi is really back, it will be hard to stop the Yankee line up if they make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever Torre has been interviewed post game for the last month, since Giambi has been on fire, he has been very deliberate in his praise of Giambi. He is encouraged and praises all the hard work Giambi has put in to get back to where he was. But you're right, 1 month does not make a season and Torre knows this. If Giambi does sustain this their lineup is very formidable.But some of the comments on this board stating Giambi has been the Yanks best hitter this year, per at bat, yada yada yada, people are playing with themselves.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:03 PM

Sheffield is hitting something like .390 with RISP. Matsui is one of the best money hitters in baseball.

another two things that mean next to nothing.

For the season he has not been the Yanks best hitter

per plate appearance he has (meaning when he was on the bench he wasn't) you can argue otherwise till you run out of breathe. you are wrong.

And yes RBI's do mean something.

yes they measure how many runners a batter has driven in. joe morgan told me that. they still mean next to nothing when evaluating a hitters personal prowless. they are a byproduct of things he has control over (OPS) and things he has ZERO control over (men getting on base for him). so why not just eliminate the thing he has zero control over from the argument and focus on whats important?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever Torre has been interviewed post game for the last month, since Giambi has been on fire, he has been very deliberate in his praise of Giambi. He is encouraged and praises all the hard work Giambi has put in to get back to where he was. But you're right, 1 month does not make a season and Torre knows this. If Giambi does sustain this their lineup is very formidable.But some of the comments on this board stating Giambi has been the Yanks best hitter this year, per at bat, yada yada yada, people are playing with themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

why the focus on one month when it has been shown numerous times that he was the second best hitter (when given the chance) the month of June?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

why the focus on one month when it has been shown numerous times that he was the second best hitter (when given the chance) the month of June?

[/ QUOTE ]

Measured by what ?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Measured by what ?

[/ QUOTE ]

OPS. the easiest way to measure a players offensive worth.