Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2005, 03:10 PM

Default Re: How do you tell your Best Friend his G/F Sucks!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Did he buy her a 6 month aniversary present?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ask

[/ QUOTE ]

of course he did
Old 07-19-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...someone sounds jealous

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I thought when I read this part
[ QUOTE ]
He is 26, she is 18.

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. Believe me I don't envy the immaturity and inability to go into clubs and bars with my g/f. I mean my g/f is 18 has a nice ring to it, but is it all that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, your right it does sound nice on paper. We sound like we're about the same age (I'm 26) and the only way I would be able to put up with a 18 g/f would be if she lived in another state.

By the way, I feel for you but some times peoples priorities in life change. Your friend might be ready to move on and settle down and start a family. It doesn't mean you can't still be friends it just means you won't see him as often. I think you risk the friendship by telling him his g/f is a problem. I would suggest just letting it go because maybe he'll get sick of her anyway.

Edit: Have you tried the Ask Bison thread [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He isn't going to listen you telling him anything. You need to get him to realize that she isn't what he wants. How about trying this ...

Cancel the vacation. Tell him you thought that this was going to be a poker vacation because that's what you guys like doing, rather than it turning into a hang out with the girls like it always is when you're not on vacation. Tell him to go ahead and have good time, you just don't want to blow your vacation days on just a weekend of hanging out with the girls.

now whenever he wants to do something, and she's tagging along like always, come up with an excuse. It's gotta be legitimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. However, when you do get to hang out without the g/f you may want to avoid discussing her altogether. Just interact like you used to and he will remember how much he enjoyed the good times. If not then he may just prefer the new situation and you have not alienated someone you consider to be a good friend.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:32 PM

This is a tough one. I absolutely hated my best friend's (also my housemate) girlfriend when I was in college. Most of us did. We made it somewhat obvious, but he just didn't want to hear it. You might have to just let this one blow over and hope he doesn't marry her. Keep trying to do stuff with him and let it be known what you think of her and how much of a douche/pussy he's being. After that, you kind of just have to hope he's smart enough to see what's going on and man enough to act on it.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem: He is 26, she is 18.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did a little editing to FYP.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:47 PM

I "Dear Bison"ed this exact same situation, with the exception that my friend is 21 and his gf is now 20. Look on the bright side that at least your friend is 26 and has a decent job already and didn't fall into the pit that these two did and are going to take 6 years to get out of Community College, if ever.

There really is nothing you can do, as much as I hate to say it. Bison was right when he told me, nothing you say is going to make him magically realize how bad this is. It'll probably hurt your buddy when he realizes what's real, but its bound to happen.

In other words, unless you're willing to lose a friend over this trick...stand your ground, but don't fight it too hard.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He isn't going to listen you telling him anything. You need to get him to realize that she isn't what he wants. How about trying this ...

Cancel the vacation. Tell him you thought that this was going to be a poker vacation because that's what you guys like doing, rather than it turning into a hang out with the girls like it always is when you're not on vacation. Tell him to go ahead and have good time, you just don't want to blow your vacation days on just a weekend of hanging out with the girls.

now whenever he wants to do something, and she's tagging along like always, come up with an excuse. It's gotta be legitimate. Then when you do something with just him, drop some line about having a blast like the good old days before you both had staedy girlfriends. Make sure you tell your girlfriend you're doing this, so that you don't get in trouble.

Eventually he'll dump her. No one can stand being near any one person 24 hours a day. When you go as a group it doesn't give them enough time alone for him to get sick of her. He's gotta make the decision, not you telling him what to do.

Hard to do, but that's just another option to try.

[/ QUOTE ]

Miggo - You are a stranger in these parts and this is the first of your posts that I have read. That said, you gave some pretty damn good advice!

OP - After careful reading of this thread, I have to give 2 thumbs up to the above advice. It definitly covers all bases when it comes to dealing with this situation.

1. Don't alienate friend.
2. Don't turn this into a "it's either her or me"
3. Don't allow her to turn you into the bad guy (by not being one)
4. Let your friend make the ultimate decision - he will anyway, so you may as well put the right information in front of him (good times to be had with friend vs. clingy girlfriend who insists on changing you).

Last but not least you have to accept the fact that your friend may like this new lifestyle of no poker, no privacy and 18 year old pussy. In which case, you may have to simply let go.

Good luck!
Old 07-19-2005, 03:56 PM

tell him how you feel once, and then to avoid problems just don't do stuff with them as a couple. one of my best friends really hates hanging out with his gf + his friends or vice versa. he feels like guy time is guy time, and it actually works pretty damn well.

--turnipmonster
Old 07-19-2005, 03:58 PM

"He is 26, she is 18"

Of course she is clingy, she is an immature teenager!!!! He needs to get rid of her. It's rough when it's your friend though, you don't want to piss him off.
I was in somewhat of a similar situation and I did NOTHING. In the end, it is not my life but his!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"He is 26, she is 18"

Of course she is clingy, she is an immature teenager!!!! He needs to get rid of her. It's rough when it's your friend though, you don't want to piss him off.
I was in somewhat of a similar situation and I did NOTHING. In the end, it is not my life but his!

[/ QUOTE ]

?