Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 08:41 AM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K......

[ QUOTE ]
hi jonny.
playing the party 2k SH games w/ a 40k roll is laughable.
you need way more...

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-15-2005, 08:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
8k is plenty and the few hands that I have with you, on almost all the big pots you got the money in ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah 8k should be good enough for good player to start at 400NL... dont try 1kNL though. I think I am down 5k in this game at least 3 times a week and I know what I am doing...
(also my playing bankroll is about 50k now and I still think that its not big enough for 2k...)

Best wishes
Old 11-15-2005, 09:23 AM

Yeah I agree that I didn't have a big enough roll to play, but I felt I had the skills to beat the game. Variance got me. Anyways, I started the long climb yestreday at NL400 and brought back in 1200 (despite losing an $800 pot AA to KK all in pf, i had AA). I think I'll start playing the 1K when I get 20K, and 2K when I get 50K.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Wait wait so you've played 30k hands and that means you know what you're doing? That definately shows a gross misunderstanding of the game.

I'm sure now you'll think I'm being harsh but I'd bet you anything that if you continue playing and come back in a year or two you'll understand where I'm coming from.

You're not ready for anything close to 2k nl. Not the 1k's either. You might have ok hand skills but your poker maturity isn't there. Play a lot lower.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm not trying to sound like a jackass, but I have played for about 1.5-2 years, 200K hands of NL poker online. Sorry if you got confused. Its not like I deposited 40K and played online starting at 2000NL. I just posted this because it was really the first time in my career that I had this big of a downswing, and it happened in about 5 days. I'm not going to bore you guys with the beats, but it was quite nasty.

I guess I just needed to vent a little bit. I should be back in a couple months.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:43 AM

So he basically lost 15 buy ins in 5 days. Who thinks this is variance or could this be poor play. I have seen him play and he is a master hand reader. He usually can put a guy on a hand and acts on it. His plays are fundamentally correct to get all the money in when he is favorite or has the best hand. Most of his beats are complete suck outs. When he thinks he is right he will back it by his stack. Who else plays this way? and how successful have you been at it? who feels this style is flawed?
Old 11-15-2005, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So he basically lost 15 buy ins in 5 days. Who thinks this is variance or could this be poor play. I have seen him play and he is a master hand reader. He usually can put a guy on a hand and acts on it. His plays are fundamentally correct to get all the money in when he is favorite or has the best hand. Most of his beats are complete suck outs. When he thinks he is right he will back it by his stack. Who else plays this way? and how successful have you been at it? who feels this style is flawed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you sure told us. We should all just slink back under our rocks now.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:53 PM

What do you mean when you are referring to his poker maturity? Are you referring to patience and hand selection? Could you elaborate there, because I think if you do, you could provide him with some very helpful advice.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you mean when you are referring to his poker maturity? Are you referring to patience and hand selection? Could you elaborate there, because I think if you do, you could provide him with some very helpful advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he was referring to bankroll management. And yes, he is correct that playing SH 2000NL I should have had more than 20 buyins.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K...... but the rest is safe in the stock market!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
10k hands is nothing. I dont understand sentence above.. does it mean that you played 10k hands each month ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I played 10K hands in August, made $30K, 10K hands in Sep., made $28K, before that I was at 1000NL and made $15K in a month there. So yes, I know what I am doing.

DM: You may know what you are doing - you may not. Making 3x the big blind is hardly dominating the game.

[ QUOTE ]

You werent dominating anything. If you in fact had dominated that game you would have much more in your account. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

I cashed that all out and put it into the stock market, so it is secure. I'd rather rebuild than risk ruin.

[/ QUOTE ]

DM: LMFAO - You put it in the stock market, so it would be secure? This comment makes me wonder what you really know about hold'em. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Better luck to you - learn to accept the need to play lower limits. If you were good enough to get there before, you can do it again - right?

Dogmeat
Old 11-15-2005, 01:34 PM

Default Re: So I just lost 30K...... but the rest is safe in the stock market!

yeah true i wouldnt say stocks are very secure, but definately not capable of losing 50% overnight.

As for the rebuild, it has already begun at NL400. The climb should be much easier this time.