Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 12:38 PM

Default Re: The Most Donkeyfied Play I\"ve ever made-Please punish me severely

not pushing makes me a very sad panda...
Old 09-08-2005, 12:46 PM

wow.

The first comment has some truth to it, but the second one is way off.

Sure, he can gather more chips (POSSIBLY) by playing 4 opponents, but his risk of ruin against 4 foe's is drastically enhanced.

Who the F wants to bust from a tourney with AA ? Not me. Do you realize how stoopid you'd feel, busting with this hand in this spot?
Old 09-08-2005, 12:48 PM

No, My bankroll is $1K and I play 10+1.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:53 PM

Again, the pot is 400 by the time it gets to you PF.

You raise 150, against three players.

This is so pointless it hurts. You are left with 400+ for "post flop play" lol.

400! There is 1K in the Effin pot on the flop....vs. 3 players.... lol.

400 in pot, push all in PF, raising 615... now the pot is 1015. Opponents have to call 515 more for this.

YOU STILL WILL GET 1 caller minimum. Possibly 2. Especially since you are almost short-stacked and they may think you are stealing what's in the middle.

Stop with the FPS... push PF.

it's a MUST.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:03 PM

After rethinking this (and running some crude math), I STILL PUSH preflop but I see SlimPickens point. Overall it is probably slightly more +EV to be 50-60% hand favorite getting 3:1 then being 80-85% hand favorite getting 1:1.

But (a) this does not account for the dead money in the pot if you push and get one caller - this gives the edge to pushing in the EV dept.

(b) there are differences between NL cash game play and tournament play with the latter sometimes favoring passing up a little more +EV for less risk in certain situations. There is a happy medium between playing scared and not wanting to risk your tourney life on a coinflip even if the money odds justify it.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, Button calls t100, SB calls t75, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, CO calls t150, Button calls t150, SB calls t150.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, so what happened here is the absolute worst possible case for you. The first caller gets 4:1, and everybody else gets better odds than that, so they're close to correct to call. cEV~=$eV though so it's not as bad as it looks. The problem with pushing is that it also allows your opponents to make the correct play and fold, so maybe a raise to 350 is better, but that's fine tweaking and not too important here.

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (t1000) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>

SB checks,Hero Bets t275, CO raises t550,Button raises t825, SB is all-in,Hero is all-in, CO is all-in

[/ QUOTE ]
Obviously, I'm never folding AA to any flop in any situation here. It's all going in anyway, and the only issue is getting the most money in with yours. Smaller bet or push... eh... I don't even dislike the non-push as much as I did originally, but the pot is just the right size so that people getting 3:1 to call your push with what they think is a winning hand (say top pair plus gutshot) are actually drawing to a 6-outer. Either way, AA is never folding.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Still, if this is your worst play ever, you are doing fine IMO, Sam.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. If this had been a multi, and the result had been different, you'd have looked like a genius.

I agree with others, though: shove pf.