Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: Moving Out

What does change my advice is if the parents are actually willing to pay for either all or a significant majority of the college expenses, provided you live at home. Depending on how significant these expenses are, then it's probably worth it to just suck it up and live by their rules for a while longer. Of course the best would be if you could move out on your own but still get them to pay for college. It would be nice to get out of college debt-free (but definitely not the end of the world if you have some student loans).
Old 06-08-2005, 12:49 PM

I supported myself after I was 18 and it was fine. get a job or play poker to make money and try and minimize the amount of loans you have to take out.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, let me say that I would do anything possible to get my dad to pay my school expenses like he is supposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, let me say that I would do anything possible to get my dad to pay my school expenses like he is supposed to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree but I dont think we have enough info to make a judgement on this statement. He may be legally required to pay for the poster's school as part of a divorce agreement for example.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would you agree that independence and self reliance are a reward in themselves? I have not made a REAL decision yet; and I can see this turning out absolutley great, as well as turning out disasterously. I wouldn't call it foolish. A ton of kids pay for their own college.

[/ QUOTE ]
You will have 50+ years of said reward, it can wait. Save your 10K to help put a payment down on a house when you graduate.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:49 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can fax you the divorce settlement if you'd like.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh no.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can fax you the divorce settlement if you'd like.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that would be great.

Fax this number: 805.968.1220. Its for the Alternative Copy Shop about a mile from my home. I'll run down there and pick it up and I can verify that this is true.

Seriously though, your dad is a dick. When my parents got divorced when I was 15, he got a scumbag lawyer and my mom was ordered to pay spousal support and he was paying like $200 a month child support even though I saw him 2 weekends a month. I then decided that I wasn't going to speak to him until he changed because he was putting an unfair finacial burden on my mother, which was obviously affecting me as well.

We have only spoken like once a year since then.

Try doing that and let me know how it turns out.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:06 PM

When my parents got divorced when I was 15, he got a scumbag lawyer and my mom was ordered to pay spousal support and he was paying like $200 a month child support even though I saw him 2 weekends a month.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] That's possible?!?! That really sucks.

My mom went the route of "go broke on the lawyer, so you don't go broke later on," which worked out well until he held back on about 30k of child support over the years. The second lawsuit for that wasn't fun either.

Like you said though, there really isn't much you can do as a kid in that situation.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:50 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
What does change my advice is if the parents are actually willing to pay for either all or a significant majority of the college expenses, provided you live at home. Depending on how significant these expenses are, then it's probably worth it to just suck it up and live by their rules for a while longer. Of course the best would be if you could move out on your own but still get them to pay for college. It would be nice to get out of college debt-free (but definitely not the end of the world if you have some student loans).

[/ QUOTE ]

There's also something to be said for even paying for college on your own if possible and not relying on parents for that too.

If it's possible to pay for it yourself, I would try it. The parents may still give you money they set aside for college to you so you can do something else with it.

Staying with them when you could move out and pay for college yourself (not necesarily easy, but feasible) just because they will pay for your college is kind of using them, isn't it? I always thought if my parents put me through college, I'd want to pay them back eventually anyways.

b