Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 01:31 AM

Default Re: Peyton Manning

[ QUOTE ]
Edge,

Not valuing super bowls makes you a total jerkoff. I might be a merely decent poster but that's what I think.

brett

[/ QUOTE ]

I never discounted Super Bowls, did I?

But seriously, I guess Dan Marino sucks, huh? Tom Brady is god.

You hopping on Brady's cock like this makes you a much larger jerkoff than you think I am.

The guy doesn't make many mistakes, hell, I'll obviously give him that. He's plenty reliable to not totally blow a game for you. Except against Miami, that is. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
he's really a merely decent quarterback

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that you lose all credibility when you write stuff like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bring me one statistic besides rings that says Brady is a better QB. Please. I respect the guy, I never said he wasn't a good QB. Of course, a guy who rode pine at Michigan for years before he started and backed up Drew Bledsoe when he got to the league (6th round pick), and never would've started if it hadn't been for a well-timed injury...yep, he's the best QB in the NFL, better than guys like Brett Favre and John Elway ever were (they've got fewer rings), and he's going into the Hall of Fame before he even retires.

I'd post the difference in Manning's career stats and Brady's, but I've done it before and it was ignored, so I'm going to stop arguing with people who refuse to even consider that Brady isn't the second coming of Christ.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never said he wasn't a good QB

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
he's really a merely decent quarterback

[/ QUOTE ]

uhhhhhhhhhhhh

[ QUOTE ]
Of course, a guy who rode pine at Michigan for years before he started and backed up Drew Bledsoe, and never would've started if it hadn't been for a well-timed injury...yep, he's the best QB in the NFL,

[/ QUOTE ]

What does his history have to do how he has performed on the field? Do you really want people trotting out a litany of players who weren't drafted high, yet were wildly successful in the NFL?

[ QUOTE ]
better than guys like Brett Favre

[/ QUOTE ]

Very probably will end up better than Favre. Brady is like the anti-Favre: Disciplined, team player, unflashy. The media can love the "gunslinger" image all they want, but the fact is that Favre has cost his team time and time again with his selfish undisciplined approach to games. His physical tools were so great that it frequently didn't matter, but in the end, I think Brady will be viewed as superior.

[ QUOTE ]
better than John Elway

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Elway is the greatest ever, though I don't really argue with the Montana faction. I don't think Brady has the tools that Elway did, but it's early in his career, and it's certainly possible that he could insert himself into the conversation at some point, even though I ultimately doubt he will.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
better than guys like Brett Favre

[/ QUOTE ]

Very probably will end up better than Favre. Brady is like the anti-Favre: Disciplined, team player, unflashy. The media can love the "gunslinger" image all they want, but the fact is that Favre has cost his team time and time again with his selfish undisciplined approach to games. His physical tools were so great that it frequently didn't matter, but in the end, I think Brady will be viewed as superior.

[ QUOTE ]
better than John Elway

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Elway is the greatest ever, though I don't really argue with the Montana faction. I don't think Brady has the tools that Elway did, but it's early in his career, and it's certainly possible that he could insert himself into the conversation at some point, even though I ultimately doubt he will.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to not let it go unnoticed, Clark, I do respect you as a poster, and this is much more the type of debate that I like to participate in.

I know you aren't the one who said it, but earlier on someone trotted out the old "he's got the rings" argument as to why Brady is a better QB than Manning, and IMO, that's total bunk, and I think you know that too. Your take?

You're right about Favre's image, but I think his heart and his drive have made plenty of mediocre Packers squads perform much better than they should have. For what its worth, I think he's the primary factor in the 96 Super Bowl win over New England.

I also happen to agree with you on the Elway factor. Put together the fact that he's got the same type of head for the game that I think Manning has (to an extent [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]) and ran the offense even better in the clutch than he did in the rest of the game, you've got a helluva QB.

So it turns out we do agree on some things. Better, Clark?
Old 10-19-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is not good at football anymore.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's one of the greatest regular season quarterbacks of all time. He's right up there with Fran Tarkenton, Jim Kelly and Dan Marino.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:44 AM

Are you referencing a meaningless Miami MOnday night game from last year?

OK, let me ask you this. You're down by 2 or 4 or one score's worth of points in the superowl. There's one minute on the clock and your team is on its own 20. You can have any (active) quarterback. Who are you taking?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:49 AM

I don't think any active QB will ever surpass Elway or Montana. I'm not sure which of these guys was better--I suspect Elway--but as good as Brady, and as good a Manning is, I just don't see it.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

OK, let me ask you this. You're down by 2 or 4 or one score's worth of points in the superowl. There's one minute on the clock and your team is on its own 20. You can have any (active) quarterback. Who are you taking?

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Brett Favre. Even better than Peyton (IMO) in the clutch. The best in the game at the 2-minute drill.

2) Peyton. Yep, Peyton. This one IS because he's got better receivers than Brady does. He also runs probably the fastest no-huddle offense in the league and can read defense like nobody's business.

3) Now I'll take Tom Brady, because all he has to do is get to about the 30 and let a certain graduate of South Dakota take the field and blast the holy hell out of the ball. And I do, in fact, trust him to do that.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't meaningless. They were still fighting the Steelers for home field advantage in the playoffs.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This one IS because he's got better receivers than Brady does.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not asking you to pick a team. I said pick a QB. No matter who your qb is your wr's are Clarkmeister, Jack of Arcades and Voltron. Your placekicker is Sublime and Andy Fox is the holder. Still taking Manning over Brady?

(Favre is a good pick. I don't take him over Brady, but I can see it.)

I would ask that you explain this though: [ QUOTE ]
Even better than Peyton (IMO) in the clutch.

[/ QUOTE ]

What the hell does this mean? I'm not asking you to explain Favre's "clutchness." Its the "Even better than Peyton" thing that has me scratching my head....