Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Default Re: L___Oh____L, Party 30-60 player.

Well said, Gono. There is no need for this kind of behaviour, and it demeans us all as professionals. It is bad for the game, not only for the image it creates for poker players but also in creating a negative environment to which right minded individuals would not voluntarily subject themselves. I, for one, want to encourage the biweekly gambler who thinks it is "fun" to make a big score every once in a while, but accepts that he is a losing player. These individuals, unlike the degenerate gambler, are turned off by such negativity. To them, gambling is fun. Lets keep them at the table by being polite gentlemen at the tables.

CSC
Old 08-11-2005, 06:44 PM

gonores,

I'm sorry to hear about your scare, and wish you the best of luck in beating it.

I neither sympathize nor condone such talk. I just think it's silly to let it get to you. I gathered it "got" to you when you declared your willingness to expend the energy and effort in getting a trash talker banned. If you believe he IS gaining EV from such talk why not partake in it yourself by taking advantage of those effected by it? As long as he is not gaining EV from you, who cares?

Anyway, I never utilize the chat box myself. I never say "nh", and I never make a derogatory comment either. I just play and watch the chat for clues as to who might be on tilt, etc.

It's unfortunate when trash talk hits home and strikes a personal chord. But if anything, I think it makes the trash talker look classless. L__Oh__L is correct when he says, you are no more likely to die from a disease he wishes upon you, than you are to have a nice day if he chose to say that. Either way, it's meaningless babble from a stranger and should have no effect upon you.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way, it's meaningless babble from a stranger and should have no effect upon you.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, in a perfect world we would all be thick skinned enough not to let this stuff bother us. In a perfect world, we would never be effected by results and only judge each hand by EV. Of course in the real world it doesn't always work than way.

I don't mind the players that are so over the top they are probably doing some variance of a Don Rickles' routine, or are so sick you should probably feel sorry for them.

I know that a lot of players intentially try and get under the skin of their opps to gain advantage. This may give them a short term advantage.

Thinking in the long run, I'm wondering how many will stick around if in addition to losing they are being insulted and rideculed? I'm hoping the players I am winning from will be around for a long time to come.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry to hear about your scare, and wish you the best of luck in beating it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoa whoa whoa....I said "dealt" not "dealing with" a cancer scare. And I didn't even have cancer...the tumor was malignent, or benign...whatever the good one is [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
If you believe he IS gaining EV from such talk why not partake in it yourself by taking advantage of those effected by it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because not everything in life is about +EV. It's probably +EV for me to sneak into my parents' house and steal the valuables. They'd never know who did it.

[ QUOTE ]
As long as he is not gaining EV from you, who cares?

[/ QUOTE ]

I care. Because increasing one's earn through the verbal assault of strangers does not jive with me. Like I said before, I really didn't/don't care much about foul-mouthed pros, but having the feeling that I took money out of LohL's pocket because I took away some sort of dispicable edge will put a smile on my face when I go to bed at night.
Old 08-11-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I, for one, want to encourage the biweekly gambler who thinks it is "fun" to make a big score every once in a while, but accepts that he is a losing player. These individuals, unlike the degenerate gambler, are turned off by such negativity. To them, gambling is fun. Lets keep them at the table by being polite gentlemen at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is key to me and why I cringe when someone starts running their mouth. Amazingly to me, this happens at every limit I have played at. You'd think as one moves up in limits, they'd learn to keep their mouth shut.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
If you believe he IS gaining EV from such talk why not partake in it yourself by taking advantage of those effected by it?

Because not everything in life is about +EV. It's probably +EV for me to sneak into my parents' house and steal the valuables. They'd never know who did it.

Quote:
As long as he is not gaining EV from you, who cares?

I care. Because increasing one's earn through the verbal assault of strangers does not jive with me. Like I said before, I really didn't/don't care much about foul-mouthed pros, but having the feeling that I took money out of LohL's pocket because I took away some sort of dispicable edge will put a smile on my face when I go to bed at night.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, very well said, Gono.