Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Default Re: NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship (NHPC) - Questions For Pr

[ QUOTE ]
Ask them who would win every match if it weren't for luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking about that while he got his share of the rolls during the "By the Book" tourney. I was sitting there wondering what was going through his mind while he was getting some luck there. Does he actually think he's the only one allowed to get lucky?
Old 03-02-2005, 04:09 PM

Paul, I look forward to asking you that very question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

In essence, the question is just "who is the most skilled player" disguised in a different form. I think people are definitely interested in hearing the pros answer that question. I'll see what I can do. We've heard Hellmuth's answer to that question on one of the WSOP broadcasts, so no need to ask him again.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Bodog.com posts lines....

Not sure about the web site. I don't think NBC is going to post the results on the site but not certain of that.

I think the brackets (w/o results) will be posted either this weekend or sometime early next week.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:13 PM

I bet we won't get to see Sklansky's matches.
Old 03-02-2005, 04:30 PM

Great idea, and I think all the TV poker producers should consider it. There is a market out there for unedited play of top pros in action.

Frank
Old 03-02-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure about the web site. I don't think NBC is going to post the results on the site but not certain of that.

[/ QUOTE ]

NBC won't post updates or winners on their site. That would take away some of the viewers in May.
Just like you won't see anything at all about the WSOP on ESPN till months afterwards.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In essence, the question is just "who is the most skilled player" disguised in a different form.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not agree. It's more like asking who would win at chess if the pieces were made of fruit and it was played in a dimensional distortion field, with a rulebook composed of the odd page numbers of the parcheesi rulebook and the even page numbers of the diplomacy rulebook.

You cannot remove luck from poker any more than you can remove the king and queen from chess. The operation may have been a success but the patient is dead. If there is no luck, the game is not poker.

[ QUOTE ]
I think people are definitely interested in hearing the pros answer that question. I'll see what I can do. We've heard Hellmuth's answer to that question on one of the WSOP broadcasts, so no need to ask him again.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the majority of pros understand that the question does not scan in that form. The guys who fantasize about removing luck from the game must think that poker ought be a "laydown contest" or "soul-staring contest" or some other mini-game at which they believe they excel. Too bad for them, it's not.
Old 03-02-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NBC had nothing to do with the lines....just thought they may be of interest to the forum.

Bodog.com NHPC lines

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting odds. Of course, any of the 64 can easily win this, aside from a few dead money players, but to me there's one player who is far and away the best play given these odds. Anyone want to give their opinion before I reveal?
Old 03-02-2005, 05:59 PM

Hmmm....I want to understand but I'm not sure I do.

To me, poker is skill and luck. Put another way, if the same 64 players played the NHPC 1,000 times (or some meaningful # of times), would you agree that the "most skilled" player would win the most number of times (or have the highest weighted finish)?

If you don't agree, and that's possible, then there must be some element to poker other than skill and luck. Playing a meaningful number of tournaments would seem to isolate the skill from the luck, or at least reduce luck to a negligible amount.

I completely agree that you cannot remove the luck from poker. But over the course of time, luck becomes less of a factor in overall performance, no?

I hope if by some chance you get asked that question that you don't just reference viewers to the site [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2005, 06:04 PM

I was the only undefeated player in the 2+2 Heads-up poker league. How come I wasn't invited?

Ask them that?