Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-28-2005, 08:15 PM

Default Re: The Truth About Playing Poker For a Living

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a lawyer suing McDonalds for their coffee being too hot. I'm not a doctor watering down his prescriptions to increase my profit line. I don't work for an insurance company using fear to convince someone to buy a lottery ticket on their health. I'm not some corporate CEO playing fast and loose with the numbers to cook the books and screw my 10,000 employees out of their pension funsd and lay them all off when I have to go to prison for two years du to a fraud conviction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome!!
Old 05-28-2005, 08:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ayn rand should seriously be the last person anyone ever quotes. shouldnt you have some redeeming qualities to be quoted?

rj

[/ QUOTE ]

Ladies and gentlemen, James Target.
Old 05-28-2005, 08:50 PM

I am John Galt.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:40 PM

"Happiness is a delusion of those whose emotions are superficial."

Ayn Rand
Old 05-31-2005, 08:08 PM

True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
-- Socrates

So Ayn Rand is just as clueless as the Canadian Communists, Gamblor, the guy who posted before me, Me, and the guy who posts after me.

Anyone got any good bad beat stories to lighten the mood? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I'm not a lawyer suing McDonalds for their coffee being too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does it matter that McD's intentionally made their coffee way too hot on purpose? Does it matter that their reason for doing this was so that they would sell more egg mcmuffins while people waited for their coffee to cool down. This was the basis of the suit (they had internal memos from mcd's bigwheels proving this) and it was upheld in court. If I had been badly burned by coffee that was twice as hot as it should have been because mcd's was trying to trick me into buying an egg mcmuffin I would sue as well.

(Sorry but I hear that too much as a reason why lawyers are bad. Use the example of the guy who broke his leg when he fell in a hole in someones backyard while tresspassing while trying to break into someones house. He admitted to attemted robbery but sued to homeowner for neglegence and won.)

On another note no I'm not a lawyer... I work with adults with mental illness and mental retardation for a living. I make a positive difference in the lives of many people and feel I am making the world a slightly better place. I do not make much money as my work is not highly valued or respected by society as a whole but I feel the contributions I'm making to the lives of the people I work with means something. It means something to them and their family members. It also means something to me to be spending a great deal of my week helping others. I make more $$ an hour playing poker but will never do it full-time. My time (and limited time on this planet) is too valuable to spend it soley on the pursuit of money. I honestly feel bad for anybody who has a job that $$ is the only reason for doing it. We all must do what we need to do to make a living and support our families but those of us who have a choice could do worse than to spend our work week trying to make the world a better place.

To the OP: There is nothing wrong with playing poker for a living. It sounds like you're a decent guy and have no need to apologize for your life or how you feed and cloth your family. Making charitable contributions is a nice touch and is something more pros should do. While you shouldn't have to feel bad about playing poker for a living you must be honest with yourself and realize there a far nobler callings you could aspire to than online poker pro. Think of all that time you spend playing. Could that time be more satisfying to your soul? Are you truly satisfied with the contribution you make to the world? Does this even matter to you? These questions are not intended to attack your lifestyle compared to others but serious philosophical questions we all might be asking ourselves. I am not judging you or the lawyers who sue mcd's or the people who are wage slaves of any type. I just think when you look back on your life you might wish you had been a little more involved with something more important. There are some really smart people who are poker players on these boards and I sincerely hope that many of these pros are just doing the online poker thing for a few years until they find a higher calling. The world may not need more lawyers but it could certainly use some more gifted scientists, artists, doctors and yes even more social workers.
Old 06-01-2005, 12:49 AM

If Ayn Rand endorsed poker (and we'll have to defer to Peikoff on that one), who, then, is the game's John Galt?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Ayn Rand

In the previous thread, gamblor said, or implied, that people who play poker for a living are a drain on society.

Not really.

I meant to imply that people who play poker and contribute nothing else are a drain on society.

contribution = volunteer work, charity, producing some sort of economic good or service.

people who do none of those things are a drain on everything.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not a lawyer suing McDonalds for their coffee being too hot.

[/ QUOTE ]I have to respond to this one: McDonald's was wrong in this case. If you looked past Jay Leno's jopkes and actually viewed the facts in the case, you would see this wasn't a textbook example of frivilous lawsuits (which are all too common, admittedly) but actually a textbook exammple of corporate arrogance (which is also all too common).

Here are the McFacts about the McDonalds Coffee Lawsuit.
Old 06-01-2005, 06:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What a stupid thing to post. The character you're quoting from As Good as it Gets is hardly a role model, while Ayn Rand was actually a good philosopher and great writer. Her books are studied in classes all over the country, and if correctly understood (that is, without a bunch of whining about how "cruel" or "heartless" she was), they have a ton to teach people about how the world actually works. But dopes like you would rather crack a one liner quote from a character in a movie who was put up on the screen as an example of how not to live one's life. You deserve your lot in the world my friend [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Regards Mack