Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2005, 04:52 PM

Default Re: Is cocaine bad for you?

Thank you for blowing my potential win [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-16-2005, 09:57 PM

I said regularly plays while high.
Old 09-17-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Do you not undertsand the concept of a functioning addict?

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO.

Yeah I've know a lot of "functioning addicts" on the poker scene over the years. They usually functioned until they OD'd or got cirrhosis of the liver or got messed up in a car wreck from driving that way. Or until their boss had had it with 1 too many times them showing up still feeling the effects and not really functioning on the job.

I am not talking here about having a few beers occasionally, or even 2 or 3 a day. But getting high on drugs is the same as being drunk, and if you do either regularly for a long enough period of time it will be reflected in your life's results. And while I am sure that there are many college kids here who might be better poker players than myself, I am also quite sure that of those who are and who play at the same stakes I do (1K/2K buyins in plo and nl), there are 0% who play while high.

[/ QUOTE ] [ QUOTE ]

I said regularly plays while high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, whatever you say.

[ QUOTE ]

in·teg·ri·ty
1. Steadfast adherence to a strict moral or ethical code.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 09-17-2005, 07:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But getting high on drugs is the same as being drunk, and if you do either regularly for a long enough period of time it will be reflected in your life's results.

[/ QUOTE ]

ig·no·rance n.
-The condition of being uneducated, unaware, or uninformed.

(Sorry, replied to wrong post, but we know who this is directed at).
Old 09-17-2005, 05:16 PM

Happily one can overcome ignorance and become knowledgeable by observing the repeated mistakes of others and not committing them rather than only learning through one's own mistakes. Keep shoving that stuff up your nose regularly for the next 10 years and come back here then and let us know how you're doing financially and health-wise.
Old 09-17-2005, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't like cocaine to much, I just like how it smells.

[/ QUOTE ]

nh, sir.

Also, cocaine is often cut (reduced in potency and mixed) with vitamin B-12. see? it's good for you! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-18-2005, 11:04 AM

I am not an expert on addiction from a psychological and physiological standpoint, but I can say with near certainty that cocaine is indeed an addictive drug.

If it's not physically addictive, it is certainly psychologically/socially addictive. Regular users (I know one person who is) have it on them all the time and don't like being in social situations without doing it and having it in their pocket.

I will give you that the majority of people who do coke are professionals with decent or better-than-decent incomes who like the rush it gives them when they're out partying or hanging out with friends. Most of these people keep this under control, rarely going off the edge.

But a fair amount of people take it a lot further than that and need to constantly have it around.

Is it bad for you? Of course. That's an obvious question. All else being equal, regular coke users have lower life expectancies than non-users. That's the bottom line, and any doctor would agree to that.
Old 09-18-2005, 11:56 AM

Every person's physiology is a bit different.

You should take loads of it, give it a good 2-month allout test, and then report back to us your results.
Old 09-18-2005, 01:19 PM

In law school at the moment, we are studying the case of R. v. Malmo-Levine and Clay, the landmark marijuana legalization case in Canada.

In it, the defence repeatedly introduced as evidence the addictive properties of Marijuana versus harder drugs and the 1 in 5 number is about correct for cocaine.
Old 09-19-2005, 02:40 PM

From personal experience, I suggest you stay the hell away from cocaine unless it'll help you get into a stripper's bagina.