Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: RESULTS and my 2 cents

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

I am curious – how many of you routinely make huge semi-bluffs like this?

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, all the time against small stacks who are so afraid that they seriously consider doing things like laying down top set in a spot like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

a) YOU were not Villain in this hand.

b) What makes you think that I was fearful here? Or more importantly, what makes you think that Villain thought that I was playing scared. Does having a shortstack = a scared player?

c) How can CONSIDERING laying down here be wrong when I was in fact crushed?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the Foxwoods $5,5 game against one of the, even moderately aggressive, big stacks this really is an instant call every time, if you have been playing tight poker. These players simply can not stop themselves from trying to bluff tight players with small stacks off of made hands. It is like a disease. There are players in that game who are willing to give up massive edges (those times they are called) to make bluffs in this sort of spot. I am not at all sure that I would have any edge at all against some of these players if it wasn’t for this one leak. It is as if they can not believe that a player who buys in for 200BB and doesn’t see many flops actually wants to put it all into the middle when a good situation comes up. Too bad you ran into the nuts this time but I really don’t think you should let it stop you from taking that bet the next time it comes up in that game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - duly noted.

Perhaps I should have noted that Villain was not one of the big stacks at the table.

He had me covered, but not by much.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"

Do you really believe this is how the math in poker works?

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

I screwed up - sue me.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, all the time against small stacks who are so afraid that they seriously consider doing things like laying down top set in a spot like this.

[/ QUOTE ]

b) What makes you think that I was fearful here? Or more importantly, what makes you think that Villain thought that I was playing scared. Does having a shortstack = a scared player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me why on earth you would ask a question "How often do you do x?" and then when someone responds with how often they would do it, you respond back with "YOU were not Villain in this hand."
Old 08-01-2005, 08:08 PM

this thread sucks [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-01-2005, 08:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain to me why on earth you would ask a question "How often do you do x?" and then when someone responds with how often they would do it, you respond back with "YOU were not Villain in this hand."

[/ QUOTE ]

You mis-read my question. My question was not "how-often" but "how-many" -
that is really not a question any one person can answer.

Fine, you El-Diablo often make huge semi-bluffs like this.

My point is that you may or may not be representative of the average Villain.

If a lot of other posters responded that they too often make huge semi-bluffs in a spot like this, then perhaps I would be more inclined to think that the average unknown would as well.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If a lot of other posters responded that they too often make huge semi-bluffs in a spot like this, then perhaps I would be more inclined to think that the average unknown would as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment still stands. You ask "How many of you make this semibluff?" I say "I do." And you respond "You were not the Villain!" WTF? Why the f did you ask the question then if you're going to give that response?
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain showed 86o for the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn, I bet you HatedDemNutz.

LOL!!!11!!1111uno
Old 08-01-2005, 08:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He lucked out because you had basically the only hand that would consider calling that bet. Most of the time someone who takes your line has AT/KT etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Based on what I have seen of this game, I would have a hard time putting him on straight. I have seen someone make a similar play at the foxwoods 5-5 game with K-10 (with 3 to a flush on board) because he was trying to blow the small stack off his hand. It's a fascinating game that has changed dramatically over the last 18 months...used to be fairly normal game then around last fall became wicked fast and loose...and they definitely prey on the small stacks. I would think a wacky 2 pr or even A-10 as crazy as that sounds are his likeliest holdings because of the massive overbet.

My advice: take your $500 and buy into the $2/$4 game with the cap. But I've never found it to be much fun to sit back and wait for the nuts in that 5-5 game...too much craziness going on for a small stack. I have found it much more profitable to run over the smaller NL games there. $2500 would be my minimum buy in at the 5-5.
Old 08-01-2005, 08:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My comment still stands. You ask "How many of you make this semibluff?" I say "I do." And you respond "You were not the Villain!" WTF? Why the f did you ask the question then if you're going to give that response?

[/ QUOTE ]

***Sigh***

Fine, I suppose the question would've been better stated:

"I am curious as to how many (what percentage) of you routinely make huge semi-bluff raises like this."

Basically if I could somehow quantify the % of time Villain has the nuts vs. the % of time he is semi-bluffing - I could better determine if this is a +EV call.

I think it is fair to say that at least some percentage of players never/very rarely make huge semi-bluff raises like this. Obviously knowing whether this particular Villain is capable of making plays like this would've been helpful. Of course knowing that Villain has the propensity to make overbets when he has the nuts would've been helpful too.