Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Psychology/Mindset

Yeah, I think making it personal/getting angry hurt my game (though I suppose if you can "hate" an opponent with out being angry that'd be a good source of focus).

Really I'm responding to Eric's post on table coaches. While these players are irritating, they are abosolutely hilarious. For instance, today it's folded to me on the bubbble with J7s in the SB. I'm short-stacked (800ish) and I push into BB (about 1200 chips). He calls with KT and wins. This is the guy who pushed 27 and showed it, then pushed AA, got called and before the action finished said, "HAHA you're dead I've got rockets." The following insued,

BB: Bad move man, you don't go all in with J7s.
Me: [nothing]
BB: Stupid fish
Me: What like the Zodiac? I'm a tiger, but my sign is aries.
BB: I have to call with any two there, do you know that? Do you know how to play poker?
Me: I like waffles
BB: WTF!!! do you hear what i'm saying fish? You suck
Me: Awww, you're sad cause you don't like waffles?
BB: see ya loser, thanks for the chips

I always enjoy these conversations

(Thanks to whoever I borrowed waffles from--somebody in the "what would you say to hellmuth" thread...think they said tacos...I liked it)
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM

A lot of you taking the 'hate them' comment to levels I didn't intend. It's not 'disrepsect' or 'anger.' I'm not staring at the screen in a frothing rage. It's a mindset that I want to beat everybody's brains in, and I want to find a way to bust everyone. If an opponent wins a pot from me by outplaying me or by getting lucky, I remember the information better, because now I REALLY hate them. I'm going to use that info later to hopefully bust them.

This is all within the confines of competition, of course. In real life, I don't hate anybody. Not even George Bush.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:42 PM

I just play normally, and try to have as little emotion while I play as possible.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:48 PM

One other thing. The 'hate' drives me to improve so I can crush everyone even more. I want to prove something. What? I've no idea. But I'm this way in golf, too. I will say that I don't care when I lose a Nassau to my mother. But when playing my dad or good friends in a match, I really really want to win. So I concentrate more than a typical player. I get more out of my ability than they do. I feel that this mindset helps me in poker as well. I'm desperately thinking--how can I win this tournament? How can I get in the money? I have to get in the money to prove to this donk that despite him sucking out with J5 against my AA early in the tournament, I still beat him.

I dunno. It works for me. Y'all are just too nice. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

BTW, at a live table, you don't see this hate from me. I'm very friendly and talkative. That's all part of the psychology. Online, I've turned chat off. I got sick of being called an idiot, and don't trust myself not to yell at the luckboxes.
Old 07-18-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The best state of mind I can get in to play is just a confident, relaxed state

[/ QUOTE ]
Crass as it may be, I think the best way to start a session is right after getting head. I bet we could prove that ROI increases a couple points (and it would undoubtedly be a fun study).

[/ QUOTE ]

This is so incredibly true.

-Phoenix
Old 07-18-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Entering a game, I'm sure many people have different mindsets they like to be in to feel like they are ready to play at the top of their game. Part of that mindset is how you are going to feel about your opponents right from the start of the game. Many of those who have played sports in their lives work from a standpoint that to beat your opponents, you have to Hate Them. Or at least Hate Them while you are involved with your competition with them.

Bigwig says he hates his opponents.

Do you?

Psychologically how do you prep for playing SNGs? What is your emotional frame towards your opponents?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Personally, I would say that this is really a horrible mindset to be in when you play poker.

In order to play poker well, you need to understand your opponents. Empathy is much more helpful than hatred.

I think if your goal in poker is to "beat" your opponents, you will make errors out of frustration; whereas if your goal is to play optimally, you will not be as prone to those errors.

The analogy I think of is a layperson trying to hammer a nail during a home improvement project. Things get difficult, and they hit their thumb with the hammer. They get pissed off at the whole operation and start yelling obscenities, calling inanimate objects names. A skilled and experienced carpenter, however, simply says "ouch" and continues working.

Most people who I watch playing poker remind me of the guy that calls the two-by-four names.

Irieguy
Old 07-18-2005, 05:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Crass as it may be, I think the best way to start a session is right after getting head. I bet we could prove that ROI increases a couple points (and it would undoubtedly be a fun study).

[/ QUOTE ]

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting a poker session right after getting head is a good way to get dumped.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Entering a game, I'm sure many people have different mindsets they like to be in to feel like they are ready to play at the top of their game. Part of that mindset is how you are going to feel about your opponents right from the start of the game. Many of those who have played sports in their lives work from a standpoint that to beat your opponents, you have to Hate Them. Or at least Hate Them while you are involved with your competition with them.

Bigwig says he hates his opponents.

Do you?

Psychologically how do you prep for playing SNGs? What is your emotional frame towards your opponents?

citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm. Personally, I would say that this is really a horrible mindset to be in when you play poker.

In order to play poker well, you need to understand your opponents. Empathy is much more helpful than hatred.

I think if your goal in poker is to "beat" your opponents, you will make errors out of frustration; whereas if your goal is to play optimally, you will not be as prone to those errors.

The analogy I think of is a layperson trying to hammer a nail during a home improvement project. Things get difficult, and they hit their thumb with the hammer. They get pissed off at the whole operation and start yelling obscenities, calling inanimate objects names. A skilled and experienced carpenter, however, simply says "ouch" and continues working.

Most people who I watch playing poker remind me of the guy that calls the two-by-four names.

Irieguy

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah.

Again, you're confusing a desire to crush your opponents with anger. I use it as a motivational factor, not an emotional one. It motivates, for example, to try and get into their head and read their moves, put them on accurate hand ranges, etc. because I desperately want to beat them.

I'm not saying this could or should work for everyone. It just does for me.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Phoenix

[/ QUOTE ]

Starting a poker session right after getting head is a good way to get dumped.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, you should at least let her wash her face and talk for five minutes first.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:19 PM

Sun Tzu, the art of war