Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Re: I want to get a cat

ysscky
Old 09-22-2005, 01:35 PM

Most younger cats in shelters are brough there in big batches from smaller shelters (often from carm litters) and bring in a lot of newborn cats at a time. Not batshit crazy cats beaten by their owners.

We got our cat from a the shelter at Petsmart. (A shelter brings some of their animals for display at Petsmart, but you actually adopt from the Shelter, not the store)

She is not just over a year old, and without a doubt the single most affectionit cat I've ever seen. She only scratches her post and doesn't pee or [censored] anywhere but the litter box.
She's pretty much the perfect pet.

So yeah, shelters are the way to go.
Old 09-22-2005, 01:40 PM

I just got a kitty about a few days ago and everything is cool, except for the fact that every day she has dug up the dirt in a plant each day. I give her lots of attention so I guess she is just bored? How can I stop her from doing this. Also, how often should I completely change the litterbox?
Old 09-22-2005, 01:58 PM

Melch
Old 09-22-2005, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everything is cool, except for the fact that every day she has dug up the dirt in a plant each day ... How can I stop her from doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]
Put a kitten skull in the planter - she'll get the message. You can get them at the pet store.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a kitty about a few days ago and everything is cool, except for the fact that every day she has dug up the dirt in a plant each day. I give her lots of attention so I guess she is just bored? How can I stop her from doing this. Also, how often should I completely change the litterbox?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get her a companion.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:21 PM

Do you have a scratching post for her?

If not, you need one. Make sure it isn't hidden in a corner either.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got a kitty about a few days ago and everything is cool, except for the fact that every day she has dug up the dirt in a plant each day. I give her lots of attention so I guess she is just bored? How can I stop her from doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...periods at the ned of questions and question marks at the end of staements, interesting.

I suggest brying her in the planter. She will not dig it up again.
Old 09-22-2005, 02:25 PM

By the way, happy birthday, Jake!
Old 09-22-2005, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I need a little buddy to kick it with while I sloth away in my one bedroom apartment playing a card game and watching TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Cats are great.
2. Please, please, please consider that they live for many years, up to 20 maybe, and they will need you all the time. Getting a cat is a _long term_ decision.
3. If you get a male, snip it's nuts. It makes both your life and his better. No spraying, no running away for days, much less fighting.
4. If you get a female, snip whatever needs snipping. There are enough kittens in the world, and having her on the pill makes it quite probable that she will get cancer after a while.
5. No, you can _not_ leave a cat for several days, even with food, as someone suggested here. Yes, it will survive, but I wouldn't settle just for that.
6. My cat's life is very much enhanced by the cat-door I have. It's the kind with a magnetic lock, so he can go in and out as he wishes without bringing any "friends". I live in an urban area, but the traffic is very, very small, and there is quite a bit of green areas around. Consider it if it is possible.
7. Do your homework; read up on credible sources on the net and buy a serious book about cats.
8. Cats are great.