Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: Baseball HOF Ballot...Anybody Getting In This Year???

To be perfectly honest, not a whole lot, but I don't support the idea that the lack of 3rd basemen in the hall should increase his chances. I just don't believe that he should get any more consdieration than say Dale Murphy just because he happened to play 3rd while Murphy played OF.
To be fair, I should mention that I'm far tougher on guys getting in than most people, and that Santo wouldn't be totally undeserving. I will also admit that I am turned off by the open campaining, which is resembling begging more and more all the time.
Old 11-30-2005, 03:37 PM

OREL HERSHISER ALL THE WAY!!!
Old 11-30-2005, 05:40 PM

According to baseballreference.com adjusted era, Koufax is era is only .24 better.
I never said Gooden was better or equal to Koufax, however I said that they were similar in the sense that for short periods of time they were pheneomal, but they never had extended greatness.
Also the argument since he is a cokehead it was fault his career was cut short, therefore he shouldn't make the HOF is ridiculous, and it is the baseball hall of fame, not the people of hall of fame.
Old 11-30-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also the argument since he is a cokehead it was fault his career was cut short, therefore he shouldn't make the HOF is ridiculous, and it is the baseball hall of fame, not the people of hall of fame.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not passing judgement on whether he should or shouldn't make the HOF...I'm just guessing that the fact that he was a cokehead won't do him any favours with voters. His HOF credentials are marginal at best, and the cocaine use might be the thing that tilts a certain number of voters not to vote for him.

I'm curious...do you think that Rafael Palmeiro will make the HOF? I realize that steroids and cocaine are different kettles of fish, but do you think that he should/will be kept out of the HOF for using steroids?
Old 11-30-2005, 06:33 PM

I actually think that Due to all of the roids that have happened in recent years, that Dale Murphy might have a solid chance at getting in as he had good stats. I do agree that gossage and sutter deserve to be in.

We could very well have another year in which noone gets in through the writers, and we get only vets comitee HoF members.

I do think that Belle does deserve to be in, but his attitude and longevity are problems against him
Old 11-30-2005, 06:43 PM

Default why blyleven?

okay, seriously, why does he deserve to be in the hall. He is a lesser Don Sutton, and sutton only got in due to his 300 wins, which blyleven is 13 short of.

JoA, I know you trotted out the adjusted stats that that guy did, but I look at the raw stats and go by what I remember of Blyleven, and quite frankly, I don't remember him as a dominant pitcher. In fact, he was far from that. Blyleven is a very good pitcher, but is not one of the greats, therefore he doesn't deserve to be in the hall. He was never dominant and hung on for a long time.

Maybe I can be convinced as to his canidacy, but, I really need to be convinced. Trot out the stats that he actually had, and those that remember his pitching, please tell me how my opinion is wrong. I dunno, I just don't see any HoF worthy players on this list outside of Gossage and Sutter, and they are slim picks to be honest. If belle had been dominant for more years and hadn't been such a prick, I'm pretty sure he'd be in, but he won't, and he was much more dominant then blyleven was(yes I know that they play different positions, but teams were afraid of Belle, they weren't afraid of Blyleven)
Old 11-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Default Re: why blyleven?

Rich Lederer has said it much better than I can, and much more than I care to. I'll link you to a couple of articles.

Bert Blyleven: Up Close and Personal

Bert Blyleven for the Hall of Fame

The basic argument is that Bert was generally screwed by his teammates, had a few great years, and was a hell of a pitcher for a long time. He wasn't Don Sutton-light, he was better than Don. He was better than Ryan. He was better than Palmer.
Old 11-30-2005, 07:20 PM

Default Re: why blyleven?

[ QUOTE ]
Rich Lederer has said it much better than I can, and much more than I care to. I'll link you to a couple of articles.

Bert Blyleven: Up Close and Personal

Bert Blyleven for the Hall of Fame

The basic argument is that Bert was generally screwed by his teammates, had a few great years, and was a hell of a pitcher for a long time. He wasn't Don Sutton-light, he was better than Don. He was better than Ryan. He was better than Palmer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really hope this yr is the yr
Old 11-30-2005, 07:16 PM

I'm gonna say a few prayers for Mattingly. He's my favorite player of all time.

Joe
Old 11-30-2005, 07:26 PM

Default Off topic for Hit Man Fans

[ QUOTE ]
I'm gonna say a few prayers for Mattingly. He's my favorite player of all time.

Joe

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the Little Hit Man!!!!!

Here's likely to join Anthony Mason Jr. in the St Johns basketball program. Man, I love NY.