Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > Two Plus Two Internet Magazine
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II well.... now im confused

[ QUOTE ]
Okay let me get this straight. making 50k a year is no big deal on the internet 3-4 tabling 3-6. You dont have to be a great player. yet with a 130 IQ you only have a 50-50 chance of making it as a pro.?? You must be talking about B&M or high limits right?

[/ QUOTE ]

50k a year before taxes. How fast are you planning to build your bankroll in order to move up to higher limits? 50k a year might pay bills, but your bankroll will never grow! Unless you live at your mom's house.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II well.... now im confused

I'm not sure if this has been addressed yet, but the fact that RB is involved makes it much more feasible for a low limit player to be a pro. At the level I'm at, 3/6 (6), RB is anywhere from $14-$18 an hour 4 tabling (depending on your computer speed and RB %). If you 6 table, it's more like $24/hour. So let's say you are BRed for 3/6 (6) with 800 BBs. You could use your RB alone for bills, and then taxes, other profit, and spending money could come out of your BR whenever it evens out. Then a "bad" month would be one where you lose at the tables but still make plenty in RB.

M
Old 09-06-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: Should You Quit Your Day Job? — Part II

My IQ = 130
I have studied all of the 2 + 2 books
I have played full time for 2 plus years
I make a grand a week.

I am the minimum which you stated and make what you predict. I don't know where you got your data but I do know its acurate.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM

At the zoo there is discussion of Party Poker's 51 point drop in its stock today. Yes, 51 pts (I did a double take when I saw that).

Here is a quote from Reuters article:

"But the shares took a pounding on Tuesday, dropping to 105 pence after the company said new poker players were spending less and losing interest more quickly than the hard core of players who helped boost its shares since June."
Old 09-06-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My IQ = 130
I have studied all of the 2 + 2 books
I have played full time for 2 plus years
I make a grand a week.

I am the minimum which you stated and make what you predict. I don't know where you got your data but I do know its acurate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you feel you only had a 50% chance of achieving this?
Old 09-06-2005, 06:17 PM

Yes & No

Disclaimber: I make no attempt to spell correctly expressed or implied.

Yes: If left to nature. I believe my odds would have been just about 50:50 to make 50 grand a year. It was also what I made in the private sector. Twenty years ago those are the odds I would have given me.

No: Bill gates and Warren Buffett were interviewed on a vidio called "Buffett & Gates on Sucess" These are the 2 most sucessful men in the world and were asked a bunch of interesting questions. Most of them boiled down to how did you make your money?

interesting but already well known.

One woman asked why did you chose the occupation you did? That was unique.

Warren said: If I had been born in any other date or location I would have been lion food. It turns out that all those 3 sigma events came together for me. ( he actually explained it in much more statistical lingo than that but you get the idea).

Bill Gates: From the begaining of time inventors have been working on ways to improve peoples muscle power (bulldozers etc.) I thought why not work on a way to improve human brain power.

OK hold that thought

IQ testting is interesting. It is broken up into a matrix but the main thing is concptual ability vs memorization ability. I scored 100 for the memory and 160 for the conceptual for a mean of 130.

Fortunatly for me applying Bill Gates quest with my conceptual superiority allows me to supplement my abbilities in such a way as to get the biggest bang for the buck.

RAM (Random access memory) something I lack is now readily available. I can program (remember) everything everyone does. this allows me an edge I could not hope to hold on my own or control "live". You see Bill Gates has helped me and hurt the folks with at IQ of 100 in the concepts zone and 160 in memory zone.

My actual win rate is much better than $25/hour but that is not because of my abiliy but because of Bill Gates ability. Left to my own devices though it is right on.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Fortunatly for me applying Bill Gates quest with my conceptual superiority allows me to supplement my abbilities in such a way as to get the biggest bang for the buck.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a very interesting point!

Through the proper use of the tools available to online poker players (starting with PT and HUDs), an individual can emulate operating at a higher poker related IQ, than they might display at a B&M table.
Old 09-06-2005, 10:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is actually a very interesting point!

Through the proper use of the tools available to online poker players (starting with PT and HUDs), an individual can emulate operating at a higher poker related IQ, than they might display at a B&M table.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might work the other way round. Because the tools don't require great intelligence to use they provide the greatest advantage to those with the minimum intelligence to use the tools.

If the games get tougher because there are significantly less stupid/lazy fish then the tools could even up the game and effectively reduce your IQ advantage rather than increase it.

At the moment its not a problem because there are so many fish and the tools are still relatively primative. However, the better the tools the worse the problem would be. In the extreme case (high quality bots) there will be no advantage to having a high IQ.

chez
Old 09-06-2005, 11:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because the tools don't require great intelligence to use they provide the greatest advantage to those with the minimum intelligence to use the tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually my point... High IQ will not necessarily give you an advantage in online poker play, since someone with lower intelligence could use the tools to play better.

At the "extreme", **if** all you needed to do was push a button to start up your successful bot, then intelligence has been totally eliminated from the equation.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because the tools don't require great intelligence to use they provide the greatest advantage to those with the minimum intelligence to use the tools.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was actually my point... High IQ will not necessarily give you an advantage in online poker play, since someone with lower intelligence could use the tools to play better.

At the "extreme", **if** all you needed to do was push a button to start up your successful bot, then intelligence has been totally eliminated from the equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

My mistake, re-read your post and all I did was say much the same thing in more words.

chez