Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 5 vs 12
Neo 83 69.75%
Papa Smurf 36 30.25%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2005, 03:05 AM

Default I like arguments about bass players!

No one who wasn't a musician already (or deeply knowledgeable of music) could truly hear what the damn dork was playing on the bass yet we could be arguing about who's the best bass player until morning!

Face it, all those Best (Instrument player) polls are nothing but about who's the most popular or most revered at the time. The best polls are those among the musicians themselves. They know what they are talking about.

BTW, here's my deal:

Guitarist: Page over Harrison (come on!)
Guitarist: Lennon - by default!
Bassist: Macca over Jones, and it's not even close.
Drummer: I don't mind having Bozo over Starr, but let it be known that Mr Starkey was a vastly underrated drummer! (Check him out, for instance, in "I Saw Her Standing There" which is restrained yet pure, pure testosterone drumming.)

Overall output in music: Fab over Zep, and it's not even close.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Beatles vs. Led Zeppelin

[ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist

[/ QUOTE ]

Are YOU kidding. George Harrison REVOLUTIONIZED popular music with his progressions. Typical Beatles chord progression would go something like: C, Cmaj7, C7, F, D, G, Am, G#dim7, Am7. That is why the Beatles beacame a huge sensation, their music was something the public had never heard before. There is no band since them that has changed music as significantly. The Beatles broke the paradigm for bands like Zeppelin.

BTW, anyone who says that Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time either--1. can't play guitar, or 2. sucks at guitar.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread is dumb. How can you even compare The Beatles to Led Zeppelin? The Beatles are responsible for a lot of the music that we listen to today. Anyone who answers Zeppelin simply doesn't know enough about The Beatles.

edit: that is assuming of course, that this thread is "which is the better band" rather than "which is your favorite band"

[/ QUOTE ]

Bah. This thread is not about which band is more influential. You win that just by being older. It's about who is better. Stick to the question.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This whole thread is dumb. How can you even compare The Beatles to Led Zeppelin? The Beatles are responsible for a lot of the music that we listen to today. Anyone who answers Zeppelin simply doesn't know enough about The Beatles.

edit: that is assuming of course, that this thread is "which is the better band" rather than "which is your favorite band"

[/ QUOTE ]

this from a college kid, hilarious.

led zepplin has been much more influential. not that that matters at all. name the band(s) that sounded like LZ before LZ. cant do it? all heavy metal/hair bands after sound something like LZ.

beatles are solid. i give them that. but, the rolling stones are more comparable (and better music). the beatles are pop. LZ are the godfathers to everything from motley crue to coldplay. beatles are godfathers to pop rock.

nuf said
Old 05-06-2005, 03:39 AM

Led Zeppelin is sorely outclassed--and I like Led Zeppelin.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist, and Jimmy was one of the greatest. John Paul Jones was a much better bassist and pianist than McCartney(sp?). Robert Plant was a more talented vocalist by far. You might actually have somewhat of an argument if you include the small period where Eric Clapton played with the Beatles.

[/ QUOTE ]Clapton only played on one Beatles song "While My Guitar Gently Weaps." Page played lots of sloppy notes in his solos but George had taste and style. George never really got his due because he was in a band with the two the the greatest of that era. Page was great at coming up with heavy riffs that made the best Zep songs. I love 'em both but to call Georg run of the mill is not right.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the beatles are pop.

[/ QUOTE ]

You obviously haven't heard about half of their music.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:50 AM

Led Zeppelin is one of my favorite bands. As good as the Beatles were and the standard that they set for music, I still gotta go with Zeppelin.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:32 AM

Location: Condemned to a lifetime in the kiddie pool, where I will never make moves.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You're kidding right? George was a run of the mill guitarist

[/ QUOTE ]

Are YOU kidding. George Harrison REVOLUTIONIZED popular music with his progressions. Typical Beatles chord progression would go something like: C, Cmaj7, C7, F, D, G, Am, G#dim7, Am7. That is why the Beatles beacame a huge sensation, their music was something the public had never heard before. There is no band since them that has changed music as significantly. The Beatles broke the paradigm for bands like Zeppelin.

BTW, anyone who says that Page is one of the greatest guitarists of all time either--1. can't play guitar, or 2. sucks at guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]
He is definitely NOT the best in terms of technical ability, I don't think anyone is implying that. He is a great rock n roll composer.

Technical ability doesn't really mean much anyways (Yngwie, for example), as long as you are competent. He is certainly more than competent.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Zepplin's a glorified hair band. Beatles are classic. Easy choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is my frist post here.. but I just gotta say, you are a clown. Led Zeppelin owns you. The Beatles are good and all, but Led Zeppelin is just flat out amazing.