FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: folded to you in the CO with KTo
call 0 0%
raise 93 95.88%
fold 4 4.12%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-22-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Should I go back to school?

I'm actually in a similar predicament now. I'm an engineering student who did really well my first year of college, but poker came along, and I stopped going to classes, as poker became my priority. Unfortunatly I didn't pass enough classes last year and I'm struggling right now to be able to get back into my program. I make more right now then I would at a good engineering job my first couple years out of college, but it scares me to think what would happen if poker dried up and I'd have nothiing to fall back on...as a result, if I do get back in to college this year, it'll have to be my priority, and I will HAVE to give up poker...its a dangerous game.

I, and I'm sure a lot of guys here too, feel that were better then school, smarter then it even. Who needs class when we can open up a text book a day before an exam. And that often works, but soon you won't even want to pick up that text book and just say f*ck it, and not even go to the exam.

This is a note for all GOOD college freshman poker players out there. Leave the game for the summer, cause nothing ruins college like making 60K+/year by clicking buttons on a computer screen.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:48 PM

Your situation may have similarities with IMsoLucky, but it also has some significant differences. IMSoLucky has plans for his life. He isn't just dropping out of school because his addiction to poker has taken over (well, there is some of that in there for him too). But he has reasonable plans for a business venture with his wife. It doesn't sound like you have anything but an addiction that is consuming you to the point of destroying your academic career.

And, BTW, making $60k/yr playing poker may be nice, but it is not a good long term salary. Most entry level people with a college degree where I work (software industry) start at around $60k/year and steadily increase their income. After several years $100k/year is a reasonable salary to obtain. Plus there are a lot of benefits on top of the salary. It's going to take a helluva nice poker career to make that kind of money consistently.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:01 PM

I think this is a clear no. Going to college for business is great if you like filing TPS reports. If you want to make REAL money (aside from high ranking corporate gigs) then college isn't even necessary. I'm sure if you are smart enough to do that well at poker, then you will be able to run your pharmacy with a great deal of success. Not to mention you have a ton of income from poker to fall back on.

Most importantly... happiness is key, do whatever YOU want and not what your peers or society say.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:06 PM

NOT THE DREADED TPS REPORTS.

LoL good one [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 08-22-2005, 07:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your situation may have similarities with IMsoLucky, but it also has some significant differences. IMSoLucky has plans for his life. He isn't just dropping out of school because his addiction to poker has taken over (well, there is some of that in there for him too). But he has reasonable plans for a business venture with his wife. It doesn't sound like you have anything but an addiction that is consuming you to the point of destroying your academic career.

And, BTW, making $60k/yr playing poker may be nice, but it is not a good long term salary. Most entry level people with a college degree where I work (software industry) start at around $60k/year and steadily increase their income. After several years $100k/year is a reasonable salary to obtain. Plus there are a lot of benefits on top of the salary. It's going to take a helluva nice poker career to make that kind of money consistently.

[/ QUOTE ]
apparently you didn't understand my post.
Old 08-22-2005, 07:21 PM

Why did you ask this question if you already knew the answer?
Old 08-22-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This isn't even debatable in my opinion.

Do what you're doing now, and then in five years it doesn't work out you can go back to school.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the cash you're making now, this guys post is spot on. I went back to college to get a second degree at 26. The 18 yo's were just as hot as when I got my first degree.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:50 PM

I'm not sure if you're planning on buying a business in a small Oklahoma town or not. If you are good f'ing luck to you. I grew up in a small Okla. town, my father owned his own business as well. When he died in 1997 we sold it.

I recently went back on a weekday and was dismayed at how dismal the business district looked. Most of the stores I remember were either closed down or operating on a shoe sting budget.

Small towns in Okla are dieing a slow death. You can blame Wal-Mart, the oil bust of the 80's, Texas whatever the fact is small towns here are fading out.

As far as school goes, if you don't want to go full time, then don't, but you should think about going at least part time at some point. If you are going to run a business you'll need a strong knowledge of accounting, bookeeping, employment laws etc. You may not have to get a degree right away but at some point you'll need to know what the hell your banker,lawyer,dad or acountant is talking about.

I'm gald to hear that you have had great sucess with poker. I'm also glad to hear you have a plan for when and if the poker bubble burst.

I wish you good luck.

U.G.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:03 PM

imsolucky, check the policies at UO before you decide to drop out. I beleive when i went to school there was a time limit on how long you could take to get a degree, something like 8 years. So 8 years after your first semester the credits you earned that semester couldn't count towards a degree.

How many credits short of graduating are you? If its more than 30 i'd lean towards dropping out, if less i'd look at sucking it up and finishing. It seems possible that a degree will be worthless to you, but insurance is also a nice thing to have.

If your wife will soon be a pharmacist and you keep making that kind of money, the two of you will be pretty well off. A degree in finance might have some practical value to you.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:21 AM

Puertokid, the average college graduate doesn't make anywhere near 60k coming out of college. Perhaps in your business but not in most. Most coming out of college are lucky to start out makine 30k. If they can find a job.