Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Re: My girlfriend wants me to stop playing!

Play less poker... about 3 hours a week just like she asked... then whenever she wants to do something (go to dinner, movies, club, etc.) tell her "I'm sorry baby, but I can't afford it. Now that I am not playing much poker I don't have the income I used to have."
Old 11-15-2005, 08:55 PM

I'm not going to read all the replies but I will say this:

I have a wife that "HATES" poker. When I started playing she was my girlfriend that hated poker.

I made her my 10% partner at no cost to her. Periodically I update her how much equity she has in my bankroll. I tell her that she can cash out at any time but then looses all future earnings.

(i.e. Right now you have $1,200, you can cash out now and have that, but...if I have 200,000 in 10 years you will miss out on all that other money...)

If your not going down that serious road with her don't let her mess up your future and present. What is she giving up for you?

I explained to my wife that it is my hobby and a profitable one and it is important to me. I made the comparison of her liking to socialize with her friends and family...it would be unfair of me to ask you to not do that, bla, bla...

I told her it's part of who I am and is part of the package..

Why is it better to give it up or limit it so much? How is it getting in the way? Do you control her free time? Tell her what she can and can't do? ....

good luck.

P.S. She want's 3 hours you tell her you want 66 hours... meet in the middle, if you go more towards her side she owes you..
Old 11-15-2005, 09:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is "poker addiction"?

How would you define it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Phil Ivey is the poster boy for poker addiction.

So are the railbirds who can't pay the rent.

The key: Is it interfering and causing difficulties in your life.

Bill Gates is a workaholic
So is Donald Trump, etc...
Old 11-15-2005, 09:16 PM

If my girlfriend said this to me I would agree, SIIHP one last time, then never speak to her again. Who the [censored] does she think she is? Poker is a a very important activity for you because it's easy and makes you money. It's not like you're playing obsessively, so she should mind her own business.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:55 PM

You need to put a stop to this nonsense immediately.

I suggest that you agree with her. Then tell her, "Oh, by the way I make $xx a week playing poker, so I'll need you to get a job so we can continue to go to dinner and movies. Or if you don't want a job, we can just stay home and watch my Ultimate Fighting Championships DVD collection. Your choice. I'm here for you ."

In all seriousness, this is a fight you will have with women you are involved with for the rest of your life. You can either choose to wage bloody war and retain some semblance of autonomy or you can retreat and spend the rest of your days being nagged and controlled.

Look at women as being relentless blind stealers. They just see that blind (your time) sitting there for the taking and will try to steal it with just about any hand (excuse). Now sometimes you have to fold because they are correctly accusing you of neglect. But many times they are bluffing. When you have a defensible hand you must come over the top every single time. To simply call (compromise) only encourages more blind stealing.

It's amazing how illogical women can be about trying to control your time. I have a friend who is a recovering alcoholic who's wife started complaining about him going to too many AA meetings! He took one look at her and said, "Ok, you're right. Just run down to the grocery and grab me a 12 pack and we'll spend the night here watching TV."

She got the message.

You must be heartless and unyielding in defense of your time if you truly believe that you are giving your woman an appropriate amount of relationship time. Do whatever it takes. You'll be happier for it in the long run.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look at women as being relentless blind stealers. They just see that blind (your time) sitting there for the taking and will try to steal it with just about any hand (excuse). Now sometimes you have to fold because they are correctly accusing you of neglect. But many times they are bluffing. When you have a defensible hand you must come over the top every single time. To simply call (compromise) only encourages more blind stealing.

[/ QUOTE ]

NH, sir!
Old 11-15-2005, 10:05 PM

You need to nip this in the bud right now. Tell her to respect your boundries, you are making money doing this, and if she wants to start paying for all of your dates then you would probably not, but might consider cutting back your poker. I see this as a warning sign. If a girl is gonna complain about you making money she will complain about anything. This would actually be enough for me to drop her, even if I never planed on playing another hand of poker again.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:07 PM

Well, I figure if there's one thing these young bucks understand is poker.

Sadly, most of them probably play it much better than I.
Old 11-15-2005, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So tonite my girlfriend decided to tell me that she thinks I need to play (a lot) less poker. I admit, she is correct; sometimes I am less attentive to her than I should be, etc, etc...

I am a senior in college. Currently I play 15-20 hrs/week. So she says "lets determine how many hours you should play per week..." I'm thinking, "ok, she'll say like 10ish".

"Adam, I want you to play 3 hours/week or less!"

Well geez, didn't expect that one. So, of course I have no doubt that I can do that, but I explain to her that this is my job. This is how I buy us dinner and movies. I explain how I am playing well within my limits, that I never risk any sizeable portion of my money.

Now, of course I'll choose her over poker any day of the week, and if it comes down to that, let there be no doubt. I just can't get across to her the idea that it is simply a part time job. I have no intention of letting it become my life or livelihood.

Basically, I am willing to play less (or none at all), but I'd like to hear y'alls feedback on this topic. Surely there are people out there with some girlfriend experience...

[/ QUOTE ]

I would call, but fold on the turn if she bets out again or raises.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling is a mistake here, because it will signal to her that he's on a draw, when it would be better if she thought he might already have made the hand. I think a reraise is in order...frankly, I don't think this hand can be won if he doesn't bet, because a call here will definitely cause a raise from her on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, now that I think about it, that seems right. You're behind in this hand, a call is no good. You gotta raise right here and now, and if she comes back over the top it's time to get out.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:23 AM

Default The Flip Side...

Just thought it might be worth mentioning, having a girl that likes to play can be even worse...
I can remember the marathon poker sessions from friday night at 9 until sunday morning.
Used to think it was the coolest thing having a chick that loved to play as much as I did, but now that I look back, poker was probably the crutch of the relationship for longer than I realized...
Currently seeing a girl who does not know how to play, and is in no hurry to learn.
Don't know how many of you have been in the same boat, but it's a nice change of pace, I must say.