Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 06:10 AM

Default Re: Abortion laws, is there a real argument?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
can't most of these things be equally as true after the child is born? is it ok for the mother to decide to end that life (the newborn infant) as well? If not what exactly are using to base the above belief on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not exactly sure which point you refer to, some were related to protecting the child from an unpleasant life, and some related to the needs of the mother.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

in everyone of those examples you gave I could just as easily use that as a reason to allow a mother to terminate the life of a newborn infant. ie a mother of a baby could suffer all of those hardships after the baby was born, and could shed herself of those by terminating the life of the baby.

so my question is what you based your belief, that it would permitable to terminate the life before birth, if you believe that the mother should have that same right post birth, on?
Old 07-12-2005, 07:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
in everyone of those examples you gave I could just as easily use that as a reason to allow a mother to terminate the life of a newborn infant. ie a mother of a baby could suffer all of those hardships after the baby was born, and could shed herself of those by terminating the life of the baby.

so my question is what you based your belief, that it would permitable to terminate the life before birth, if you believe that the mother should have that same right post birth, on?

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was asking questions, not stating a belief, those were just examples in addition to the medical one vulture stated, I never expressed an opinion on them, I wouldn't want my own child terminated if it was ill, as long as it had a million to one chance of pulling through.

My belief is basically in the womans right to choose, although I feel uncomfortable about abortions in the 16-24 week range, especially for non medical reasons.

This is a 16 week old fetus

This is a 24 week old fetus

Both too late in my opinion, neither can survive outside the womb, so I don't think thats it.

Regards Mack
Old 07-12-2005, 12:17 PM

Ok. You believe live begins at X. Others believe if begins at Y.

Who should be able to make policy based on thier belief.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok. You believe live begins at X. Others believe if begins at Y.

Who should be able to make policy based on thier belief.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty much exactly my thoughts. A belief is going to be imposed on some people. The only real question as you stated before is what mechanism we are going to use to determine which belief is imposed. I can't really see a good arguement for any thing other than a machanism which the largest number of people will be satisfied with.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:04 PM

I would argue the legislator is the best way to do this. Congress should pass laws. Much like they did with partial-birth abortion. The judicial branch should not strike down these laws as they do now.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:31 AM

I don't believe you that the above picture is a 16 week fetus.

P.S. - It really looks like an alien and it's creeping me out. I have to find the block image option in Mozilla.
Old 07-15-2005, 03:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't believe you that the above picture is a 16 week fetus.

P.S. - It really looks like an alien and it's creeping me out. I have to find the block image option in Mozilla.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay?! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

On a serious point those pictures are from an anti abortion source, but I have no reason to suspect they are not exactly what they claim to be.

Regards Mack
Old 07-15-2005, 04:32 AM

I'm just saying that it looks a lot like a baby.
Old 07-15-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm just saying that it looks a lot like a baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too subtle for me [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]. Yes that was the point, I was saying that the 16-24 weeks range is far too late in my opinion, if you can reconcile yourself to the idea at all, looking at pictures like those really makes you think about what an abortion is.

Mack