Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Re: Hmmm JTs UTG raise hand

I highly disagree with the hand range given. The fact that the table has been LAG is more reason for him to raise AA KK or QQ.
Old 08-02-2005, 03:58 PM

the check raise river makes more than the 3 bet flop by 1 sb
Old 08-02-2005, 04:00 PM

I agree with that, take out AA,KK or QQ.
But still, AJ isnt out of the question or even rare for a raise here...
Old 08-02-2005, 04:03 PM

a dominating hand on the flop isnt a monster? hmm.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:09 PM

the term monsters under the bed refers to when a player has TPTK and is afraid of a set or more, TPMK in this hand is nooo prized possession. Now if I would have said that guy set up, that would be monsters under the bed...
Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Well, at least we agree on one thing, if we can throw AA and KK out, 3-betting is better than a stop and go.

The fact that the table has been LAG is more reason for him to raise AA KK or QQ.

I think anyone would raise QQ here, since there are two overs that can pretty much kill that hand, and the reasons for playing in a big shorthanded pot are many more than those for playing in a big multiway pot.

But I don't really see why [table is LAG pf] => [more reason to raise AA, KK]. As I see it, AA is ONLY raised for value pf. You usually want people to call, as they will always be dominated in the sense that they can hit their hand but still loose. In a LAG table where you are the first person to act after the raiser, sure raising is not bad. But if you knew that the pot would be reraised behind you, would you still raise? IMO there is a LOT of value in trapping multiple worse hands for 4 bets preflop.

With KK, the play isn't as strong, because you want people with an A to fold. But again, since it's a laggish table, I think many of the good aces are going to come anyway, so the value lost by not raising might not be that much.

For the whole analysis, I'm assuming that 3-bets pf aren't uncommon. If a LAGish table simply means that many pots are raised pf, then everything I said goes out the window...
Old 08-02-2005, 04:23 PM

Raising AA at a laggy table doesn't show any strength, and you can make sure it's capped preflop by doing so.
Old 08-02-2005, 04:27 PM

Ok so the merit to 3 betting the flop is to charge him when he is drawing and trying to get a free card. That is one possible scenario. I don't think it is the most likely, you obviously do. It seems to me we may be far behind in the hand, or he may have a hand like 88 and if we 3 bet and lead the turn he is just going to fold.

The other thing to keep in mind is if Brad was planning on stop n going the turn without improvement, he still charges the draw and can easily fold to a raise. The decision to do so after improving was one I really liked because it seems unnatural to a somewhat thinking player and he is going to get paid off by the same middle pairs etc that we might have scared off by being more aggressive on the flop.

-DeathDonkey
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 PM

good analysis, agree
Old 08-02-2005, 04:32 PM

I agree with all your points.
It's a style thing more than anything else, and really read based IMO.